10.4.8 AMD Software Update & Installer crash

Luciferin

6 posts in this topic

I'm running 10.4.8 updated from 10.4.6 with JaS' combo update. Every time I run software update it crashes a short way into it. Installer crashes when it gets to the 'Select Destination' screen. I'm on an SSE2 AMD system running the correct patches for it. I also tried running the AMD Enabler through Pacifist but it didn't help at all.

Any ideas anyone? Or do I just have to sit and wait until the new kernel comes out with SSE2...

I know that most of you are focusing on the 10.4.8 kernel, but does no one have any ideas on a fix here, or a way to get some sort of debug information, like what files/drivers are causing the errors, etc.

I also get the preferences window error in iTunes which has been documented but the fix did not solve it. Could I have just done a bad install?

• 1 month later...
I'm running 10.4.8 updated from 10.4.6 with JaS' combo update. Every time I run software update it crashes a short way into it. Installer crashes when it gets to the 'Select Destination' screen. I'm on an SSE2 AMD system running the correct patches for it. I also tried running the AMD Enabler through Pacifist but it didn't help at all.

Any ideas anyone? Or do I just have to sit and wait until the new kernel comes out with SSE2...

I got the exact same problem :whistle:

I got the exact same problem :(

I was getting abit pissed last night :D when i couldnt install programs, installer keeped stalling and not responding, to my avail no one had the solution to the problem :unsure: so what i did is check the properties of installer, due to experiencing this {censored} on kubuntu :( with passwords and stuff to install programs.

so i put read and write and all other options i could to my user which is bender and not admin and vuala it works again. there must be some bug that stops the installer from loading or its trying to bring up the password so i can activate the installer but now that installer is under my user its working fine everything installs no more crashing installer HORAAAAAYYYYY ... :P god i luv those widgets :angry:

MAC OS X (JaS)

WINDOWS XP FLAYKITE OS (MAC SKIN)

AMD 64 3000

ASUS A8N

SATA 200GB DATA

SAMSUNG 40GB MAC HDD

SAMSUNG 40GB WINDOWS XP

1GB MeMoRy

nVIDIA 7600SLI

REALTEK PCI NETWORK CARD :(

Edited by Pharohbender

• 2 years later...
I was getting abit pissed last night :robot: when i couldnt install programs, installer keeped stalling and not responding, to my avail no one had the solution to the problem :) so what i did is check the properties of installer, due to experiencing this {censored} on kubuntu :( with passwords and stuff to install programs.

so i put read and write and all other options i could to my user which is bender and not admin and vuala it works again. there must be some bug that stops the installer from loading or its trying to bring up the password so i can activate the installer but now that installer is under my user its working fine everything installs no more crashing installer HORAAAAAYYYYY ... :P god i luv those widgets :robot:

MAC OS X (JaS)

WINDOWS XP FLAYKITE OS (MAC SKIN)

AMD 64 3000

ASUS A8N

SATA 200GB DATA

SAMSUNG 40GB MAC HDD

SAMSUNG 40GB WINDOWS XP

1GB MeMoRy

nVIDIA 7600SLI

REALTEK PCI NETWORK CARD :moil:

i have the same problem (i think) on 10.5.6 Os X :( can you tell me how to install files without the admin password stuff?