Looking to build a Core i7 or Xeon rig with more than 4 cores

Deepinmind

4 posts in this topic

I have been researching this for over a year through many different resources (including searching Tony's infamous site, and InsanelyMac), and I have pretty much come out empty handed. A friend on Reddit suggested I ask around in here, and I realized this is kind of the central and historical hub for OSX86! I am excited to see such well organized information on loading OSX/MacOS onto a non-Mac computer!

I have just recently started asking in the forums, and I have been constantly getting the same responses from other forums I have tried. These responses mostly are kind of subjective, moot points, and sometimes, downright rude. I'm trying to keep things polite and courteous, and so I will lay down what I am trying to do upfront.

I would LIKE to be able to build a rig on which I can boot to Windows for gaming/Windows related tasks, and also boot to MacOS for recording/editing audio and video.

I would LIKE to have a high performance setup that goes beyond normal 4-core, x16 PCIe lane specs in current gaming i7 setups. We have reached a limit on core speed for the near future, for the most part, and it has become necessary to use more cores, alongside applications that can utilize those cores, to get more performance out of a system. I have looked at real world performance with the i7-6700K and other 4 core processors in the same class, and I don't see it easily pulling the weight I want to throw at it now, much less in the future as software evolves.

I am not really interested in hearing the argument about how I don't need more than 4 cores. I am not just gaming here. I've heard this far too many times for it to be worth saying again, but do as you wish. I need low-latency round-trip capabilities for audio so I can monitor with effects ON (wet) while I overdub new tracks. This requires more cores to balance the load.

I am not really interested in hearing about how i7 performs much better than XEON, performance vs. price. For my needs, it doesn't necessarily do that. My needs require large amounts of floating point Ops for video rendering, and, while some i7s can do this quite well, server class processors tend to do this better. I can go either way on this though.

I have already heard these comments and have taken them into account.

I am fully aware of the fact that X99 (and X79?) chipsets are a nightmare to work with on OSX. I am NOT fully aware as to how much of a nightmare, or what is nightmarish about them. No one seems to have a response to those questions. Just that I shouldn't bother. I have found scattered info on some problems with those chipsets, but I don't really have the full picture on why they are difficult or even not possible for my needs.

I am seriously interested in rolling up my sleeves, learning some new things, and getting my hands dirty (and possibly very frustrated) figuring out, on my own, how to make a build work! Of course, I cannot do this completely on my own, hence the need for this large wealth of knowledge you all have here!

Here are my desired specs for my system:

8 Core i7 or Xeon with over 3GHz and made within the last 3-4 generations.

32GB of the fastest RAM compatible with my system either stock speed or OC (if i7 system is chosen, of course)

At least a single GeForce 900 series Nvidia graphics card (or the GeForce 10 series if we have those working in builds now)

USB 3.0/3.1 (if possible)

The fastest SSD I can use with my setup, whether that be a SATA III drive, a Raid setup, or a PCIe, M.2, or other fast I/O system

FireWire connection, or, if possible (which, by my research, seems pretty bleak right now) some Thunderbolt connections

At least 2x16 PCIe slots

Water cooling system to keep noise down and increase longevity of my system (CPU and GPU)

I am seriously, and humbly, asking for your advice on where I should start looking for components to my build. I'm willing to go the distance (or even pioneer groundbreaking new techniques haha!) for getting these specs to work. Is it possible to get a stable build with +4 cores that can do what I need it to do? I already know a system like this would rock out with gaming on Windows, but can I semi-reliably use it for recording/UHD video editing? Remember, I don't rely on this system for money, I have another job (or two) ;^)

I would just like to be able to do this for extra money at some point and possibly work it into a business. I just need something that will work for the most part right now.

Can anyone here help me in understanding the known limitations of the systems that fit my desired specs? Or perhaps, have some other ideas I haven't considered? I'm open to any replies, even (sigh) including the typical ones I mentioned above, especially if they shed light on the subject.

Thank you so much in advance!

Mikey P

Is this silence supposed to be encouraging me to wait for the new line of Xeons/Core i7s comes out later this year? Anybody?

Hi, bro! Welcome and enjoy!

I'm using x99 lga2011 v3, the processor is amazin', quad channel memory 256 bit, etc!

Work very fine with DSDT and Piker's patches!

my mobo is GA x99 ud3p, i7 5820k, ddr4 2400.

i have too 6 generation skylake i5 6600k, amazin' too, but x99 is a monster. my geekbench is a 27 k in middle profile processor.

try with the 6700k, chipset 170, ddr4 and nvidia gtx970 and u dont back to use apple, never more! 

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/320288-guide-asus-z170m-plus-core-i5-6600k-dsdt/

• Like 1

Thank you!! I have been waiting for someone to tell me for over a year that a X99 board will work! I may actually build a 6700 rig for my gamer friend who is also a Mac user! Thank you!

• Like 1