Install new applications on another partition ?

andzor

11 posts in this topic

Hi!

Anyone knows how to make any OSX-formated partition a "system disk" ?

Running out of space on my native disk, and would like to install some space demanding software. But my other devicess/paritions aren`t recognized as usable targets for applications!

Thanks for any advice ;)

Well, as far as i know you can use FAT32 for STORAGE, but as far as apps, im pretty sure you can't of 32. You'd probably have to make another drive following the process of the original partition you made. (Make partition, open disk utility, and erase it setting it at OSX journaled)

You can use GNU parted with the new HFS+ resize patch. Just download the patched tarball from the link for the patch, since I don't think this patch has already been included in the ebuild (ebuild has hfs resizing though).

Then boot from a CD (not sure, but current gentoo live cds might already include that patch) and get the patched version of parted.

Once in parted "resize" is the command you are looking for.

$ parted
[...]
resize PartitionNumber StartMB EndMB

e.g.

resize 10 100 2000

resizes partition No. 10 to start at 100 MB from beginning to disk and end at 2 GB.

Oh, and I can't guarantee that you won't screw up your MP3 collection... Always backup :!: - you know the drill. Which, on a sidenote, makes this whole partition resizing thing kind of unnecessary IMHO. Since you are backing up your files anyway, why not get nice and shiny newly formatted partitions? :whistle:

Have fun,

the problem is that I`ve allready formated all my partitions as OSX journaled. But it still won`t use this partition as a target device for apps. Strange? Or is it a way to set partitions as a part of the "system" (as it so gently handled it in the Installer during Final Cut Pro installation)

thank you for helping out :)

The problem then, would be that my second partition is located on my second IDE-device :s I`ve allready used all the space available on the native OS X-partition on the first IDE-device (only 40GB though). So, in OS X it`s imposible to install apps on a second drive..? That really sucks. Because it`s all the apps that really diggs out my space, because I got a Linux Samba file server to take care of my stuff. Like music, pics, docs, etc.

Once you install an app to the Applications folder, you can go drag that app to another location. 99% of them will work from the new location. However, if you try to update the software, the updater is going to look for the app in the Applications folder. You will need to drag the app back to the Applications folder, apply the update and then drag the updated app back to your other location.

Unfortunately, most of the installed support files will have to remain where they are installed.

So, in OS X it`s imposible to install apps on a second drive..?

That's not strictly true. It really depends on the app, and how the author did the install for it. Most apps that I come across are simply drag & drop install (even Microsoft Office can be done this way), and those can be put on any Mac-formatted drive. Other apps sometimes allow you to choose an install location during installation, but of course, there are some that just refuse to go anywhere but the main system drive (many of Apple's apps are like that, unfortunately). It all comes down to the decision of the programmer (and sometimes their laziness).

That`s just terrible. I mean, Final Cut Studio needs at least about 35 GB of free hard drive space. And I`m not allowed to choose any other mac-partitions, even though I get to choose a partition during install! Hard to install such software when my OS partition is totally 40 GB :-P

That`s just terrible. I mean, Final Cut Studio needs at least about 35 GB of free hard drive space. And I`m not allowed to choose any other mac-partitions, even though I get to choose a partition during install! Hard to install such software when my OS partition is totally 40 GB :-P

Do you have 4 GB free? Looks like you can do a custom install of the apps into 4GB and then install the templates etc separately on another partition:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301588

"Final Cut Studio: Installer does not properly check for adequate disk space to install

When you install Final Cut Studio from the DVD, the Installer does not properly check the amount of free disk space available on your computer before performing the installation. You will need 4 GB of disk space available to install all the applications; you will need an additional 41 GB to install all optional templates, loops, content, and tutorials (these may be installed on separate disks).

If your computer does not have enough available disk space, the Install button in the Installer will still be accessible (it won't dim), allowing you to start the installation. If you do so, you'll get the following error during the installation process:

"Your startup disk is almost full"

A few minutes later, a second dialog will appear:

"There were errors installing the software. Please try again."

If you see these errors, you can free up some disk space by throwing away files and applications that you no longer need, and backing up files that you wish to keep to other volumes or media. You can also custom install only specific parts of Final Cut Studio and you can change the location for certain items. See the Installing Your Software guide for additional information."

If you don't have 4GB free, let us know and I will try and provide a possible solution.