AMD X2 dual-core Dell E521 installation

68Rustang

3 posts in this topic

Daylight savings time is over and it is generally cold out now so I have been looking for an indoor project. I stumbled across the OSx86 idea and then the InsanelyMac forums, it sounds interesting so I gave it a go last night with no success. It hung at the grey Apple logo screen. I tried again, this time choosing "F8" then "-v" and I am seeing the "still waiting for..." error. I have been searching and reading the forums all day here and it seems there are many things that could be causing me problems. I figured I would start a thread documenting my progress from start to finish (if I ever finish) to hopefully learn from others that know more than I do, and help me keep track of what I have done/need to do.

My Hardware:

Make/Model: Dell Dimension E521

Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core 3800+

OEM Operating System: Windows XP MCE 2005

Video Card: 256MB NVIDIA Geforce 7300LE TurboCache

Memory: 1GB DDR2 SDRAM 533MHz

Hard Drive: 160GB Serial ATA w/DataBurst Cache

DVD ROM: 16x DVD+/-RW Drive

I have downloaded and run cpu-z and everything looks good to go.

I tried following this tutorial:

[HowTo] XP + OSX 10.4.4-10.4.8 native dual boot, NO VMWare, no Linux, no Chain0 required. With pictures

I installed Acronis and partitioned my drive (132 GB xp / 13 GB OS X.) Ultimately I would like to have OS X on one drive and XP on the other.

I have downloaded most of the releases listed in the tutorial and none work for me, they all hang during install. "still waiting for..."

I am trying to figure out which way to go. I understand there are patches to be installed during instllation but I can't even get started.

Can anybody nudge me in the right direction?

• 4 weeks later...