Tri-Boot wont work?

Lupin

3 posts in this topic

I was wanting to Tri-Boot between Vista XP and OSx86. I installed OSx86 last so it would be the acitve partition and the Darwin loader would give me choices. After I install OSx86 it boots once, but If i restart it gives me:

Reboot and Slect Proper Boot Device

or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key.

Is it cause of the third OS or is it just Vista? Any ideas?

Hi,

triple booting isn't a problem. More likely that your MBR is a little messed up, or the XP/Vista bootloaders are pointing to the wrong discs/partitions. Also you might want to check which partition is set as active. My feeling is that you have XP/Vista as active, which is why when you reboot, their bootloaders are trying to boot, but OS X has probably changed your how the disks are identified.

I had a similar problem and was able to resolve it by: -

1. restoring my MBR (i'd ghost'd my disks before installing OSX)

2. editing the boot.ini (in XP to point to the correct disk/partition)

You might be able to resolve the problem just by setting OSX as the active boot partition.

I'm just not certain how Vista effects this, since i have XP, OSx, and linux.

You need a boot loader to install in your MBR.

Windows OS tend to write over your MBR by default, so the more OSs you run, the more likely you will have to fix the problem.

I run 7 OSs with no problem (XP, Suse 9.3, ME, OS/2 4, FreeBSD 5.4, DOS 6.22, OS X) using BootMagic (ships with Partion Magic. Gives you a nice graphic startup menu, and if the MBR is messed up, you can boot with a floppy into the BootMagic Partion to fix it.

Lots of people like GRUB too, its free, and you can install it into MBR.

I would install a bootloader into MBR from whatever boots now and see if that fixes your problem.