ethernet not working

3 posts in this topic

I tried posting this in the Installation forum, but haven't had much of a response, so I thought I'd try again here....

I've got 10.4.8 installed and running well on my Dell Dimension 4500 (P4, 2GHz, 1GB ram), with one major exception -- OS X doesn't recognize my ethernet card. Well, actually I started with 10.4.6, but when I ran into this problem & realized an upgrade was available, I tried that first, but no luck. I have these two cards right now, but I would prefer to use the SMC if possible.

SMC 1208

Vendor: 10EC

Device: 8029

D-Link DFE-530TX+

Vendor: 1106

Device: 3106

I found the wiki article on Hardware_.kext_Patching_List (wiki's down right now) and tried following those instructions. Then I found this post from Rammjet (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=29851&view=findpost&p=206378) which addresses a very similar issue to mine, but with somewhat clearer instructions than the wiki.

So I did chmod 644 & edited this system file:

/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Added the vendor & device ids of my NIC, in my case 0x10ec8029. I deleted /System/Library/Extensions.mkext and /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache and then repaired permissions using Disk Utility.

Nothing changed immediately, so for good measure I rebooted and I'm still right where I started. Am I missing a step or something?

When I open Safari, it says I'm not connected to the Internet. Network Diagnostics comes up with all red lights saying Built-in Etherent, Network Settings, ISP, Internet, and Server all failed. When I try to do Network Setup Assistant, all the options are greyed out, except for using a dial-up modem.

I saw another post somewhere that said check System Profiler to see if ethernet is enabled. I look at Network and Built-in Ethernet is listed there, and doesnt say that anything is disabled, but doesn't really say it's enabled either -- not sure what I should be looking for.

I'm getting pretty frustrated. Can anyone out there shed any light on this? Please!?!

So I did chmod 644 & edited this system file:

/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Added the vendor & device ids of my NIC, in my case 0x10ec8029. I deleted /System/Library/Extensions.mkext and /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache and then repaired permissions using Disk Utility.

Should be 0x802910ec although I don't think it will help. I'm always surprised people screw this up even though there is an existing 0x813910ec in the Info.plist.

The D-Link NIC is a VIA Rhine III. There is a VIA Rhine I driver, but it doesn't work with a VIA Rhine II. So, I don't think a VIA Rhine III is going to work.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...ost&p=99949

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...ost&p=99255