Another Sound Issue

21 posts in this topic

Hardware: Toshiba Satellite, Intel AC97 sound, SSE2 proc

Installation method: Release1 patch on Phenix release DVD

Well, little background. The initial installation, after 4 other unsuccessful installation methods, sound worked. Then I wanted to dual-boot XP and OS X. So I reformatted, using the Disk Utility, made an HF+ partition, and left the rest unpartitioned.

Booted up the XP CD, and began to install. Then I installed OS X, second. After that second install, sound no longer worked.

I checked the AppleAC97Audio.kext, and indeed my Vendor and Device ID's were present under ICH4 (24c58086), but for some reason I don't have my sound card under "system profile" in the sound settings. Nor in the "About this Mac" system profiler.

I tried copying the Darwin kext's over, but I was under the impression that Release1 patch already does that. Either way, it didn't work.

I tried to manually kextload the .kext just incase, but it didn't work either.

I'm fresh out of ideas, and what really stumps me is that sound worked on this DVD installation before (it's the same patched DVD I used originally), but now it doesn't.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I checked the AppleAC97Audio.kext, and indeed my Vendor and Device ID's were present under ICH4 (24c58086), but for some reason I don't have my sound card under "system profile" in the sound settings. Nor in the "About this Mac" system profiler.

I also have nothing is System Profiler, but my sounds work.

I have nothing in PCI cards ins System profiler and my NIC is a PCI card that works.

So System Profiler not show everything.

What matters is if keststat shows audio extensions.

Well, I gave it a shot, and I got an error on boot about being improperly installed (as to be expected), did the chmod -755, didn't get an error on boot, but now I get "kextload: cannot resolve dependencies for kernel extension appleac97audio.kext."

Tried searching, but for some reason it doesn't let me search 2 words.

Without, I'm able to boot without safe mode or diagnostic mode, so I figure why not.

Try replace the kext like Macgirl told you before, you can find it on the Darwin CD or here (it's zipped):

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?ac...ype=post&id=528

You don't need to configure it, 24C58086 is still configured in IC4.

If you still don't have sound after a reboot so try to load the kernel extension yourself:

# sudo -s

# chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

# cd /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/

# kextload AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext

then clean your extensions cache:

# rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

# kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

Reboot and hope that it works

# kextload AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext

Mk, I replaced it like she told me to, and manually loaded the kext like you told me to, and I got:

kextload: kext doesn't have all dependencies

kextload: can't generate internal dependency graph for AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext

load failed for extension AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext

(run kextload with -t for diagnostic output)

"kextload -t" yields:

kextload: extension AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext appears to be valid

kextload: cannot resolve dependencies for kernel extension AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext

Anyway ideas to fix that?

Anyway ideas to fix that?

Do you have the darwin iso?

Try to delete this files in /System/Library/Extensions (if they are present):

- IOAudiofamilie.kext

- AudioDeviceTreeUpdater.kext

- VirtualAudioDriver.kext

Copy them again on your system from the Darwin iso.

clean you kext cache:

and reboot

If you still have'nt any sound try to load the AppleAC97Audio.kext again

Good luck

- IOAudiofamilie.kext

clean you kext cache:

and reboot

Good luck

I tried that, that's what yeilded the error. I'll give it another shot though. Just to make sure, Darwin 8.0.1 right?

Well, I managed to get the .kexts loaded, or at least most of them.

IOAudioFamily, AppleAC97Audio, and AppleAC97AudioIntelICH will all load on boot, but AudioDeviceTreeUpdater will not. When I load that one manually, the others disappear from my list, and I have to reload them.

VirtualAudioDriver wont load at all, though, because:

kld(): warning /System/Library/Extensions/virtualaudiodriver.kext/Contents/MacOS/VirtualAudioDriver cputype (18, architecture ppc) does not match cputype (7 architecture i386) of objects files previously loaded (file not loaded)

So when I load AudioDeviceTreeUpdater, and the others disappear, and I reload them, I still don't get sound.

Does the VirtualAudioDriver have anything to do with it? Should I be manually loading the AudioDeviceTreeUpdater, or just leave the 3 loading on boot alone? And if so, what's the next step to try for sound, because even with those 3, it's still not working.

Actually, when I do anything with kextload, those 3 disappear from my kextstat.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I managed to get the .kexts loaded, or at least most of them.

IOAudioFamily, AppleAC97Audio, and AppleAC97AudioIntelICH will all load on boot, but AudioDeviceTreeUpdater will not. When I load that one manually, the others disappear from my list, and I have to reload them.

VirtualAudioDriver wont load at all, though, because:

So when I load AudioDeviceTreeUpdater, and the others disappear, and I reload them, I still don't get sound.

Does the VirtualAudioDriver have anything to do with it? Should I be manually loading the AudioDeviceTreeUpdater, or just leave the 3 loading on boot alone? And if so, what's the next step to try for sound, because even with those 3, it's still not working.

Actually, when I do anything with kextload, those 3 disappear from my kextstat.

As macgirl suggests delete the caches /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache and /System/Library/Extensions.mkext then reboot

• 5 months later...

I also have problem with my Toshiba Satellite A10,855gm,SoundMAX,

when I just loaded the kext as follows:

sudo kextload -t AppleAC97Audio.kext

the system replied:

kextload: extension AppleAC97Audio.kext appears to be valid

16IOAC97AudioCodec is not compatible with its superclass, 9IOService

superclass changed?

kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension AppleAC97Audio.kext

load failed for extension AppleAC97Audio.kext

The device ID is 24c58086,

I don't know why it doesn't work.

My version is MAC OS 10.4.5 , and I don't know the version of the AppleAC97Audio.kext

And where can I download the most recently version of the ac97 driver. Or which version can support my soundcard??

thanks all the same!!

- IOAudiofamilie.kext

clean you kext cache:

and reboot

Good luck

I tried the way above, but it doesn't work and when I load kext in console I read

11IOAudioPort is not compatible with its superclass, 9IOService superclass changed?

Well, my toshiba is an A15-S129. The technical data tells us that the soundcard is an AD1981.

Exactly as the gentleman who started this thread I tried anything, and I mean anything I found

and anything I tought it might work. I'm quite familiar with unixs and windows boxes, this is not

science fiction for me, but... could it be that this card it's not working at all ? from what i've read in the

kexts it sould work, the device id is there, the vendor id is there, so.. where is the problem ?

this card should be working but it's not. If I could get this card working I would give up windows until I get

a nice iBook, unfortunately I don't have the money to spend on a new laptop right now :thumbsdown_anim:)

Should we hope ?:) I hope yes :P

now i'm starting to get melodramathic so I sould end this here.

if anybody should get this card working , please post it here, I'll do the same as soon as I hear a bell in my

speakers.

Good Luck to everyone

-----------------------------

Andrei, always in search for the damn AC97 driver

Well I followed the instruction above, and all I get is this:

kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext

kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext appears to be valid

16IOAC97AudioCodec is not compatible with its superclass, 9IOService superclass changed?

kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext

load failed for extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext

It tries to load the AC97 at boot but fails to load it also. I copied the kexts from Darwin 8.0.1. Device and vendor id 24c5 8086. Toshiba satellite A15 - S129.

Even cleared the kext cache and rebooted, same thing after reboot, no output device. :happymac: