Install hangs on ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe mobo

naddy69

4 posts in this topic

I've successfully installed the patched DVD version on VMWare and on a Thinkpad T30. I've tried several times to install it on my main desktop system with the above MB, but it always fails during the install. The install just stops at a random point. Mouse still moves, but the install just hangs. It could be 15% done, 50% done or one time it was 90% done.

The drive is a PATA WD, this board uses the Intel 875P chipset. I've partitioned the drive using Disk Utility as a single partition (it's a 10 gig drive), HFS+ with and without journaling. I get thru all of the options for the install, and files start copying, but at some point it will just hang.

I see this board is in the HCL, and there is a success story there: "Custom Intel [Pentium 4 (3.2Ghz); ASUS P4C800E-Deluxe].

Any ideas on why it's hanging?

Did you try boot using platform=X86PC ?

You can use VMWare to install on your Physical Disk then boot in native.

Thanks for the reply.

Do you mean using platform=x86pc on the DVD boot for the install? No, I never tried that. The DVD boots fine and the installer comes right up. The failure is always during the actual install, when files are copying. I'll give it a try though.

I didn't know you could do that in VMWare - I'll check that out also.

Thanks again - I was out of ideas!

• 8 months later...