Bumbling old newbie here

jerry7171

3 posts in this topic

I have a 2009 Mac Pro, 3.33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB Ram with an Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 with 4 GB of built in RAM. I do a lot of photography and quite a bit of 3D modeling from the photos I take. The stock Nvidia GT 120 GPU is woefully underpowered for my projects and I purchased the Nvidia GTX 960 to give my older Mac Pro the oomph it needed.

I started hanging around here to learn how to utilize the Nvidia GPU since it was a PC card and not a Mac version. I've figured out how to install CUDA and use the Nvidia graphics driver app in lieu of OS X default driver.

My problem is that I'm having trouble wrapping my addled mind around how to use the Nvidia Web Driver app I downloaded from here so I wouldn't have to swap my GPUs every time I update the OS.

I'm dying to try the public beta for Sierra, but I can't figure out how to get the app to work? It's not immediately apparent to me what steps I take after I open it, or if it is even meant to be used with an actual Mac instead of a Hackintosh?

Please take pity on a befuddled guy and point me to where I can get help figuring this out?

Yes. It isn't clear if it is meant for actual Macs or not. If so, I'm in the dark as to how to run it properly. The funny thing is, I can do photogrammetry with no trouble but such a simple-looking app has stopped me dead in my tracks.