Osx86 won't install on HP pavillion 533w with either method

turbodood

4 posts in this topic

Ok I am admittedly a noob when it comes to installing osx on pc, though I really am not to either platform individually. As such I do have a old G3 imac if there are any tools available for it to make this work, but pretty much all the instructions I've found are for windows or linux. Anway this PC is on one of the compatibility lists as working with a native install.

With an install DVD, it gets as far as the grey apple screen and the animated circle. It then hangs --- and there is no HD or DVD activity -- I've let it sit there awhile, I don't think its doing anything.

On to .img based --- well this may be where I messed up. The first time I tried this, it was basically on an extra HD I use to play around with stuff. I had actually been using vista on it on another computer immediatly before this. I used DD 0.4 (which unlike the .3 people have complained about wiping their drive due to incorrect drive numbers entered, now supports drive letts and a list function so you actually know what you are pointing it at) to copy it to the drive in an external USB enclosure -- which I hope is fairly normal as much as XP complains about new internal hardware. This was with essentially no extra command options other than the if and of, not BS=. The problem here is it ended up registering to fdisk as an NTFS partition, so I'm not sure it worked at all. Anyway I get a blinking cursor when I try to boot it (now directly connected via IDE) -- typical of a inactive partition, but I checked that and it was.

The next time I tried to use every little tip I could find. I used diskpart to erase the partition that was there, and created one with the primary id=af command. Then I again wrote it out over usb, this time using the bs=1048576 option. Unfortunatly I get the same end result. This time I tried to use paritition magic on windows, which registered the partition as bad --- I also tried connecting to the imac over usb and running disk utility --- it registered it as an ms-dos volume at first, but when I try to use the repair function it registers an unrepairable mac volume.

Now, since their are some guides out there that say dd if of is all thats needed at all, I'm pretty frustrated already trying all of this stuff in addition to that.

To sum it up -- what am I misssing or doing wrong here? thanks.

If you are trying to install 10.4.1 (which uses DD for installation) then get a newer version of OSX. Very few apps will run on 10.4.1.

If you are actually trying to DD a newer version of OSX, you can't install it that way. The image is an installer DVD and needs to be burned to DVD and run.

Alright after reading around, I guess I thought all the img files out there were for moving to a HDD --- it seems that is not the case and these are just vmware images, and thats all. Why are they still being distrubuted with dd 0.3 if they don't work with it anymore? its confusing.

Also it would seem my understanding of native install was wrong. I assumed this mean the person on the compatibility list literally just booted the DVD and installed normally.

Now it seems this meant they used vmware from a patched os x disc, and ran the installed off a DVD, through it -- and then are able to boot it. Do I understand this right now?

If its so easy to move os x from a virtual machine to a real one and have it work, why isn't it being distributed as a norton ghost image or something similar, is what I wonder.