ACER TRAVELMATE 8204

texaseducate

2 posts in this topic

The new Acer Travelmate 8204 is similar to the new Core 2 Duo Macbooks - so what im wondering is - has anyone tried installing Mac OS X natively and the OS x86 version on this and if you have how well does it or does it not work. Pricewise I could just buy a new Macbook Pro and have no issues or need no tweaking but there are some things to be desired like the DVD writer speed is 6x and thats something i use a lot so 6x is kinda low to me. Please post back and thanks in advance.

• 3 months later...

I have a TM8204 and would love to install OS X on it.

But if you haven't already bought a machine, please know that the MacBook Pro costs pretty much the same yet is a far better machine.

The TM8204 is OK but it has a dim screen which is leaking light and it's much larger than the MBP. I am not mentioning the design because that's plain to see. But seriously - I would trade my TM8204 for a MBP any day, gladly, and would give you $$$ to boot. The newer 8210 series supposedly has the same, dim, unexciting screen, which is a shame for a machine at this price...

Buy the MBP instead. The MBP screen is bright and brilliant, just the opposite of the TM8204... I am thinking of buying one, in fact.

I am in the middle of researching on how hard it is to install OS X, we'll see. I haven't seen anyone posting a successful install so I have the feeling it's not going to be easy.