Successfully installed 10.11.2 on Asrock Z170 Pro4 (i7 6700k + GTX 970)

mryellowduck

4 posts in this topic

This is my first attempt at a vanilla clover installation of OS X and it has, to my surprise, gone successfully. I've been reliant on hacked up images such as those provided by Niresh to install OS X in the past - I've come to realise that that isn't the cleanest or safest way of running OS X on a system I will be using daily.

Current status:

I'm running OS X from my hard drive with clover installed in an EFI partition. Everything seems to be running smoothly in terms of the graphics and UI (nvidia web drivers) with no crashes or artifacts. All USB slots are working as a result of Pike's AppleAPIC fix (thank you!). Ethernet is not working (this isn't an issue for my personally as I have a wifi adapter, but will look for a solution to help others). Sound is not working (this is probably a matter of finding the right kext). OS X seems to be only recognising half of my ram (8GB out of my actual 16GB).

(I'm by no means an expert, so follow the below steps at your own risk).

Steps:

1) Download the latest version of clover (3330). 

2) Install clover onto USB stick by choosing a theme and then selecting 'Drivers 64', 'Drivers64EUFI' and pressing install.

3) Download CPUsensor and FakeSMC kext produced by Majonez (these have been patched for Skylake). Manjonez shares these kexts here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/309352-el-capitan-on-ga-z170x-gaming-5/?p=2188384

4) Unzip the HwSensors folder you just downloaded from Majonez, and then extract the FAKESMC.kext and the CPUsensors kext to the 'Other' and '10.11' folders in your EFI/CLOVER/kexts/.

5) Go into clover configurator and open up your plist.config. I unchecked all of the fixes (new and old way) found in the first page. You may or may not need to do this. 

6) Go into the 'boot' section of the plist.config. Make sure that you check the 'nv_disable=1' boot arg if you are running a modern nvidia geforce graphics card (like my GTX 970). You can disable this later post-installation once you have installed the web drivers.

7) Replace the VboxHFS-64.efi file in the Drivers64EUFI folder with the HFS plus driver. This may or may not be necessary. 

https://github.com/JrCs/CloverGrowerPro/tree/master/Files/HFSPlus/X64

Before moving onto step 8, you must apply the AppleAPIC patch discovered by Pike. Here is his blog post: https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2015/11/06/appleapic-kext-binary-patch-for-skylake/

Simply add the clover config found in that blog post to your own configuration. USB and Internal SATA will not work if you do not apply this patch.

8) Restart computer and boot into the clover USB.

9) Select the OS X install drive (you need to create this drive using either a real mac or working hackintosh) from the clover menu.

10) Wait for the install menu to come up. Format your chosen drive with a GUID partition. Select that drive and install OS X.

11) The install will probably hang on 'just one second remaining', but don't let this scare you. I made the mistake of thinking it had frozen, forcing me to repeat the the whole process again. Just let it do its thing, it will eventually move off of 'just one second remaining' and automatically reboot.

12) Once the system has rebooted, select the clover USB drive again from your BIOS boot up screen. 

13) This time, you should a new OS X drive on the clover boot menu. Select that drive.

14) From this point onward, you can install the nvidia web drivers as usual (make sure to get the alternative 10.11.2 ones) and install clover on the OS x hard drive (so you don't have to boot through the clover usb).

Note: If you install the web drivers, make sure to change the boot argument 'nv_disable=1' to 'nvda_drv=1'.

Specs:

Asrock Z170 Pro4

Intel i7 6700k

GTX 970 (MSI)

16GB RAM (2 X 8GB HyperX Fury sticks)

Working:

- All USB slots
- NVIDIA Drivers with GTX 970
- WIFI with my edimax driver downloaded from the edimax website.

- Ethernet (fixed using IntelMausiEthernet.kext)

- Onboard audio

Not working:

- Ethernet

- Weird ram issue where it says my system only has 8GB of ram (I have 16GB, two sticks of 8GB).

- Cannot sign into App Store (your device or computer could not be verified).

- Onboard audio  Fixed audio by following toleda's guide here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/308387-el-capitan-realtek-alc-applehda-audio/

- Sleep & power management

I will update this post as I find solutions to the above issues. I will appreciate any help.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

1. "Cannot sign into App Store (your device or computer could not be verified)." ==== You need to make your ethernet as BUILT-IN device at OS X. Try to inject it at DSDT Patch
2. Make sure there is no problem about USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 and PRW Method at DSDT, PRW Method of GLAN Device at DSDT, and use right SSDT for your CPU PM or tick Generate C-States and P-States with Config.plist. This can caused with many thing.

Sorry for my bad english

• 2 months later...

Just a question. I have a system that has very similar specs ( core i7 6700k,16gb  ram, as rock extreme 4, gtx 970, samsung 850 evo) I installed mac OS X and everything works but my graphics is kinda glitchy. I can see screen tearing when I move windows around and in the about this mac section it does not recognize my gtx 970. Everything else is perfect thoe.