Going from VMWare to Native

3 posts in this topic

Ok. I recently installed 10.4.7 (JaS) into a VMWare virtual machine. I've been testing it out for a few days and am now ready to move to a native install. My question is what differences should I anticipate from running OS X in a virtual Machine and running it natively. In VMWare, both my DVD Drive and Sound work. Will this be different when I install it natively? Also, what would be better, an install straight from a DVD? Or an install aided by VMWare?

Here is my hardware:

Acer Aspire 5102WLMi

AMD Turion 64 x2 ML-32 TL-50 1.60Ghz (Dual Core)

ATI Radeon Xpress 200M (1100) (RS482M) Chipset - Host Bridge

Atheros AR5005G Wireless Network Adapter

Realtek RTL8139 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter [A/B/C]

PS/2 Keyboard and Mouse

I think thats all the important stuff . . .

Hi Tauhshi,

Well, for starters, as everyone will say, it'll be a damnsight faster than VMWare, as the processor isn't juggling Windows and OS X at teh same time. Secondly, since VMWare is basicallly WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get, though someone back me up on this), by all accounts, your DVD drive and sound system should more than likely be supported - VMWare is the bridge between the computer and OS X. I tried VMWare one time - extremely slow, and I couldn't do much. Graphics a should be supported as the card is fairly new - if not, give the search button a try, someone'll have the fix. Networking's usually fine with wired, but wireless might be a further post. If you have CD/DVD burner drive and OS X doesn't like it, try PatchBurn (www.patchburn.de or google it), which patches Finder burning on hundreds of drives.

A DVD installation is MUCH better - I installed mine that way. 'DD'ing the file onto the hard drive went very badly for me. If installing normally works but doesn't boot and you get the b0 error, just post back - I found the fix for it.

Best wishes,

Damocles

Well, good news! It installed perfect! Bad thing is, no internet connection, wired or otherwise. Maybe I'm not setting the wired connection up right . . .

Also, just tryed to boot into Windows. Froze at "Loading user preferences" or something. Not sure if it is osx86 related or not, but, I'm going to try and boot into it agian . . .