USB 3.0 on Asus P8Z68-V/Gen3 (ASMedia controller)

B_ogbrush

12 posts in this topic

Got Yosemite to run OK on this board.......allmost.

This board has an ASMedia USB 3.0 controller. After the initial installation the machine would freeze every couple of minutes with the mouse pointer still working (but nothing else) and then re-boot after a further five minutes. In the end I found that if I disabled the ASMedia controller in the BIOS the machine woud remain stable.

My Spec:

Asus P8Z68-V/Gen3 (with modded BIOS)
Intel Core i7 2600K 3.4Ghz
12Gb RAM (1x8Gb 1x4Gb)
Gigabyte GeForce GTX550TI
250Gb Crucial SSD

I'm booting with Chimera

Does anyone have this board running with Yosemite and USB 3.0? or does anyone know of a workaround?

I use the Oyen Digital driver on mine. Found GenericUSBXHCI to be a bit flaky in Yosemite. The Oyen driver is for storage only so it'll give you working USB3 hard drives and sticks but won't charge phones etc.

The Oyen card uses a NEC chipset so to get it to work with the ASM1042 open the kext's info.plist and delete both instances of IOPCIMatch.

• Like 3

Easiest way is to get PlistEdit Pro and use that to open the info.plist (right click the kext and show contents to get to the info.plist inside the Contents folder).

Look through the info.plist and you'll see two entries that say IOPCIMatch. Delete both of these and save the plist. Now it'll load for the ASM1042.

• 1 year later...

I tried this mXHCD.kext and am also able to get those ports working on my P79X79-E WS board finally.  However, it disables my Inateck USB 3 cards that I have installed, which use the Fresco chipset and work natively OOB in Sierra.  How can I get this mXHCD.kext to work with the ASM1042 ports while not disabling all the other USB 3 ports I have?  Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I use the Oyen Digital driver on mine. Found GenericUSBXHCI to be a bit flaky in Yosemite. The Oyen driver is for storage only so it'll give you working USB3 hard drives and sticks but won't charge phones etc.

The Oyen card uses a NEC chipset so to get it to work with the ASM1042 open the kext's info.plist and delete both instances of IOPCIMatch.

Thx !

I used this Oyen Digital Driver on my Acer 4830T and now the one lonely USB3 port works.

On one USB flash drive I got 37MB/s write & 95MB/s read speeds.

The USB port is NEC (0x01941033)

It does not matter that the port is not listed in System Information App but it works which is the main feature.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 5/6/2017 at 12:27 AM, flmmkr said:

Hey Riley, I tried changing the entries but couldn't get any USB3 ports to work at all when I did that.

Riley said everything correctly, just in the kext you need to swap the Device ID and Vendor ID: so, not 0x1b211042, but 0x10421b21 - first the Device ID, and then the Vendor. And everything will work)