SATA Install + AMD/nVidia

22 posts in this topic

Last time I looked at OSx86, installing OS X onto a AMD/nVidia SATA was a big no-no. The drives either didn't turn up, only worked 1/3 of the time or had major corruptions. Is this still the case? I'd love to have OSx86 back, my IDE drive that I had it installed to died a month or so ago.

FYI, I've tried 10.4.4, 4.5, 4.6 disks (Most JaS's) without Disk Utility recognising either of my Seagate (One 7200.8 and one 7200.10) drives.

yea i would also liketo know since i got a similar system.

i heard about the AMD enable patch, and ive heard you can use semjaza's 10.4.7.

mabye somene else can answer... but is there any other version of 10.4 that runs on AMD chipesets with a Sata HD, that way we can juse apply patches to easily update the core OS :lol:

yea i tried it on AMD 64 "venice" on a sata primary HD and it wouldnt boot or recognize the partition. this is a known issue.

i was able to get a native dual boot of an old IDE HD from VMware, yet had the known AMD installer crash everytime i ran an installer.

OSX doesnt like AMD to much /sigh

anyone know of any verision of 10.4 that can install on an AMD + sata drive?

Although I'm not booting on a SATA disc, I have quite a few in my system that are SATA and work fine without any problems so far. No problems reading the NTFS for WIndows and read/write on FAT32. Been this way for many months.

I installed OSX 10.4.6 on my 80Gb PATA drive and it worked well. Most everything worked smoothly and I could read the NTFS Windows SATA and transfer files from it to my OSX drive.

Well, I found that 80Gb isn't very much space when you start loading music and pictures, so I ordered a 400Gb SATA drive for Windows XP and tried installing OSX 10.4.6 (same DVD - version "MacOSX_10.4.6DVDPATCHED_Myz") but it didn't work. It would install fine, but when it would try to boot without the install DVD, it would just stall, nothing loaded. So, I tried installing OSX 10.4.7 (version "Mac-OS-X-10.4.7-AMD.Intel-(JaS)-ISO-Repack"), thinking maybe the updated version would help. It installs fine (selected the AMD and via/sata patch) and it loads fine but it will not allow me to create new files. When I try to transfer files from the NTFS Windows SATA drive, it say "Cannot transfer files. Error: -50". When I try to create new files on the desktop, it says something to the degree "Cannot create file because file name length is too long". This issue never came up on my PATA installation.

I tried playing around with the different installations. I tried installing it without the AMD patch (Won't fully boot), and without the VIA/SATA patch (still has the same errors as with the patch installed)

I really am not sure where to go from here.

yea the exact same thing happend to me on my 320 gb SATA drive. it would not nativly boot without the DVD.

i was able to run it in VMware though still trying to figure out how to make it work nativly.

i think the only way to do this would be to buy an intel chip..

yea the exact same thing happend to me on my 320 gb SATA drive. it would not nativly boot without the DVD.

i was able to run it in VMware though still trying to figure out how to make it work nativly.

i think the only way to do this would be to buy an intel chip..

This might help you get your sata to boot.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...c=30322&hl=

Use at your own risk but it is what worked for me.

Hey thanks. That seems pretty complex, but it will be well worth it if it gets OSX to work on my SATA drive. I'll let you know if it works.

Go to my example at the hackint0sh link. Its not as complicated as it seems. You can cut and paste to the terminal.

Don

Go to my example at the hackint0sh link. Its not as complicated as it seems. You can cut and paste to the terminal.

Don

Don, for your example, osx has to be installed on pata drive before it can be dumped to sata drive, right?

Unfortunately my notebook has only SATA drive. Is anyone working on the nvidia chipset driver for the SATA controller? If so, I'm willing to help to get this thing work.

Don, for your example, osx has to be installed on pata drive before it can be dumped to sata drive, right?

Unfortunately my notebook has only SATA drive. Is anyone working on the nvidia chipset driver for the SATA controller? If so, I'm willing to help to get this thing work.

That was how i did it. Maybe you could use a USB? It would be nice to be able to hack the install disk and make it see other controlers but I haven't seen that yet. There was somebody talking about a live DVD. Havent seen any thing lately though. That sure would be nice.

Don

Don

I admit it: I am really new to using OSX. I've used cmd in Windows enough, but I am really not understanding the instructions (both sets) that you either wrote or linked to.

My set-up is this: I have an 80Gb PATA drive and a 250 Gb SATA drive. I want to install OSX on the SATA drive and I would be willing to use the 80Gb as part of the installation process if it gets OSX to work on the SATA drive.

To me, the directions don't seem very clear. What I have done so far: I installed OSX 10.4.6 on my PATA drive and I copied the install DVD to my desktop to get the " from JaS Install DVD, cp /usr/standalone/i386 to a bootfiles directory in your home (for easy access)" files. I also downloaded the startupfiletool and typed " cp /Users/My Username/Desktop/startupfiletool /usr/sbin" in the terminal and it installed it fine. I am just not sure where to go from here.

This is really frustrating because I really desire to have OSX on my computer and I would like to see if this process will work, but I can't understand how to install it. Don, if you have to time, can you please help me with the process of installing OSX your way on to my SATA drive? Thank you very much.

I admit it: I am really new to using OSX. I've used cmd in Windows enough, but I am really not understanding the instructions (both sets) that you either wrote or linked to.

My set-up is this: I have an 80Gb PATA drive and a 250 Gb SATA drive. I want to install OSX on the SATA drive and I would be willing to use the 80Gb as part of the installation process if it gets OSX to work on the SATA drive.

To me, the directions don't seem very clear. What I have done so far: I installed OSX 10.4.6 on my PATA drive and I copied the install DVD to my desktop to get the " from JaS Install DVD, cp /usr/standalone/i386 to a bootfiles directory in your home (for easy access)" files. I also downloaded the startupfiletool and typed " cp /Users/My Username/Desktop/startupfiletool /usr/sbin" in the terminal and it installed it fine. I am just not sure where to go from here.

This is really frustrating because I really desire to have OSX on my computer and I would like to see if this process will work, but I can't understand how to install it. Don, if you have to time, can you please help me with the process of installing OSX your way on to my SATA drive? Thank you very much.

Im on linux at work and don't have a mac available so may be off a bit. Click on your desktop to be sure finder is displayed. Click go in the top bar, then utilities. Should open a folder. Look for terminal and double click. You should see a "dos box looking thing".

I will check back later if you need more help.

Don

Im on linux at work and don't have a mac available so may be off a bit. Click on your desktop to be sure finder is displayed. Click go in the top bar, then utilities. Should open a folder. Look for terminal and double click. You should see a "dos box looking thing".

I will check back later if you need more help.

Don

I understand how to open and run Terminal. I know that sudo -s will log me in as the root user. What I don't understand is what order I do everything in. Like I said before, I installed OSX on my 80Gb PATA drive and formatted the 250Gb SATA drive that I want OSX to eventually be installed as MacOS Extended (journaled), and I was wondering if this is right? I also don't understand how to "From JaS Install DVD, cp /usr/standalone/i386 to a bootfiles directory in your home (for easy access)" I know that I need to use terminal to do this, but exactly what commands will I use?

Thanks again Don. You're a real help.

I understand how to open and run Terminal. I know that sudo -s will log me in as the root user. What I don't understand is what order I do everything in. Like I said before, I installed OSX on my 80Gb PATA drive and formatted the 250Gb SATA drive that I want OSX to eventually be installed as MacOS Extended (journaled), and I was wondering if this is right? I also don't understand how to "From JaS Install DVD, cp /usr/standalone/i386 to a bootfiles directory in your home (for easy access)" I know that I need to use terminal to do this, but exactly what commands will I use?

Thanks again Don. You're a real help.

Ok here is a tutorial to make a bootable clone. It uses rsync and may be somewhere on this site too.

"Ok folks, here is a tut' every hackintosh dude should follow to avoid reinstall the all stuff when something messed up ur hackintosh install and you can't boot it anymore.

What we are going to do is setup a bootable clone of your startup partition on another backup partition.

First, get the software, it's just a GUI to enable easy backups with the tiger out-of-the-box command-line utility rsync.

http://archive.macosxlabs.org/rsyncx/rsyncx.html

Setup a backup partition to hold ur bootable clone.

Be sure that 'Ignore ownership on this volume' is not checked. You can verify it by right-click on your backup partition, then expand ownership and Permissions.

Now fire up the RSyncX prog, it's under Applications->Utility

Supposing that ur startup partition is called hackintosh-1 and your backup partition is called hackintosh-2, apply the following settings:

Fire the synchronise button.

After a while ur bootable clone should be done.

Please try to boot ur clone to test it. Just press F8 at boot and select ur backup partition.

To update ur clone, apply the same setup, but instead of 'Archive', select Update, so it will only copy the files that have changed. It's much faster than doing a complete archive again."

So much for plagerism. This got the image over for me but it was not bootable even though I selected bootable. Then to get it to boot I did these steps.

Unmounted OSXx86 with disk util (gui)

Last login: Tue Oct 10 08:31:27 on console

Welcome to Darwin!

don-hs-computer:~ donh$ sudo -s

Password:

don-hs-computer:~ root# cp /Users/donh/Desktop/startupfiletool /usr/sbin

don-hs-computer:~ root# diskutil list

/dev/disk0

#: type name size identifier

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *128.0 GB disk0

1: DOS_FAT_32 26.3 GB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS OSXx86 97.8 GB disk0s2

/dev/disk1

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *1.5 GB disk1

1: Linux 1.5 GB disk1s1

/dev/disk2

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *298.1 GB disk2

1: Linux 37.0 GB disk2s1

2: Apple_HFS OSX86Too 110.9 GB disk2s2

3: DOS_FAT_32 74.5 GB disk2s3

4: DOS_FAT_32 UNTITLED 4 75.6 GB disk2s5

/dev/disk3

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *9.5 GB disk3

1: Apple_UFS Other 933.6 MB disk3s1

2: Apple_HFS OSX86 8.6 GB disk3s2

/dev/disk4

0: Apple_partition_scheme *4.4 GB disk4

1: Apple_partition_map 31.5 KB disk4s1

2: Apple_HFS Mac OS X Install Disc x86 4.4 GB disk4s3

don-hs-computer:~ root# dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2 bs=512 count=1

1+0 records in

1+0 records out

512 bytes transferred in 0.012939 secs (39570 bytes/sec)

don-hs-computer:~ root# /usr/sbin/startupfiletool /dev/rdisk0s2 /usr/standalone/i386/boot

HFS+ filesystem detected

Looking for 1 words free

reading 4096,4096

Marking word 25

writing back 4096,4096

allocated blocks 32 at start 800

don-hs-computer:~ root# bless -device /dev/disk0s2 -setBoot

don-hs-computer:~ root#

This partition now boots properly with grub

moved Drives in bios settings

Booted off above partition.

Unmounted OSX86Too with disk util (gui)

Last login: Tue Oct 10 23:09:43 on console

Welcome to Darwin!

don-hs-computer:~ donh$ sudo -s

Password:

don-hs-computer:~ root# diskutil list

/dev/disk0

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *298.1 GB disk0

1: Linux 37.0 GB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS OSX86Too 110.9 GB disk0s2

3: DOS_FAT_32 74.5 GB disk0s3

4: DOS_FAT_32 UNTITLED 4 75.6 GB disk0s5

/dev/disk1

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *279.5 GB disk1

1: DOS_FAT_32 26.3 GB disk1s1

2: Apple_HFS OSXx86 97.8 GB disk1s2

/dev/disk2

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *1.5 GB disk2

1: Linux 1.5 GB disk2s1

/dev/disk3

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *9.5 GB disk3

1: Apple_UFS 963.6 MB disk3s1

2: Apple_HFS 8.6 GB disk3s2

don-hs-computer:~ root# dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2 bs=512 count=1

1+0 records in

1+0 records out

512 bytes transferred in 0.011941 secs (42878 bytes/sec)

don-hs-computer:~ root# /usr/sbin/startupfiletool /dev/rdisk0s2 /usr/standalone/i386/boot

HFS+ filesystem detected

Looking for 1 words free

reading 4096,4096

Marking word 29

writing back 4096,4096

allocated blocks 32 at start 928

don-hs-computer:~ root# bless -device /dev/disk0s2 -setBoot

Could not find IODeviceTree:/options

don-hs-computer:~ root#

This partition now boots with grub even after the bless error. I think the bless command is not needed.

I think this is one of the top problems people are having. It comes about after copying a disk but the boot sector does not get copied correctly for what ever reason. Maybe some one can do a nice writeup and post it better for all to see.

Don

Sorry, gotta throw in my 2 cents.

I believe that Pemberton has an nForce4 SATA controller. OSX doesn't support an nForce4 SATA controller, only Intel and VIA. Some people have hacked the VIA driver to work with nForce4 but they generally suffer data corruption and have to abandon it.

I'm afraid after this big effort to clone OSX to the SATA drive, even if successful, is going to be a big disappointment if the OSX installation gets corrupt all the time because of data corruption from the nForce4 SATA controller working through a hacked VIA driver.

Sorry, gotta throw in my 2 cents.

I believe that Pemberton has an nForce4 SATA controller. OSX doesn't support an nForce4 SATA controller, only Intel and VIA. Some people have hacked the VIA driver to work with nForce4 but they generally suffer data corruption and have to abandon it.

I'm afraid after this big effort to clone OSX to the SATA drive, even if successful, is going to be a big disappointment if the OSX installation gets corrupt all the time because of data corruption from the nForce4 SATA controller working through a hacked VIA driver.

Good point it may be a waste of time. I am not up on those. Thanks

Don

There are a couple of reasons I am trying to get OSX86 to work on my computer. 1.) I am a graphic design student and the industry is at least 95% Mac and although I'm a PC user at this point, I thought I should at least get familiar with the innerworkings of OSX. 2.) Because of design, I am considering buying a Macbook (pro) at some point in the next couple of years and I would like to really like to play around with OSX and be sure that a Macbook is what I should buy, over a PC laptop.

Now, I have a couple questions to ask about the data corruption. OSX would not take over as my main platform - it would be something to play around with. Is the data corruption an all-or-nothing-type situation where some hard drives are killed because of it and some don't suffer it at all, or is it most get it - just to different degrees? Secondly, the data corruption only affects the data, right? By this, I mean it won't have any effect on the hard drive if I reformat it, even if the data really does get corrupted? Lastly, looking through these forums and reading the wiki, I know that I am not the only one who is running a Nforce 4 motherboard, has a SATA hard drive and wants to run OSX86. Ramjet, you said that the kext hacks that get the NF4 SATA to work are just rehacked VIA kexts.

I may be seeing this in a too simplistic view but: If a VIA SATA kext can be made, way can't isn't there a NF4 SATA kext? I don't have any numbers to back me up, but it seems like there are more NF4 users than VIA. If nothing else, where and how can I start to make a NF4 SATA driver for OSX86? Is it that complicated?

Hey, thank you for all your guy's help. This community is so amazing. I'd love to help out somehow.

There are a couple of reasons I am trying to get OSX86 to work on my computer. 1.) I am a graphic design

I may be seeing this in a too simplistic view but: If a VIA SATA kext can be made, way can't isn't there a NF4 SATA kext? I don't have any numbers to back me up, but it seems like there are more NF4 users than VIA. If nothing else, where and how can I start to make a NF4 SATA driver for OSX86? Is it that complicated?

Hey, thank you for all your guy's help. This community is so amazing. I'd love to help out somehow.

Is this a notebook? If not why not run on a PATA drive. It wont be as fast but will run and you can use sata for XP. Or use an external drive.

Don

Is this a notebook? If not why not run on a PATA drive. It wont be as fast but will run and you can use sata for XP. Or use an external drive.

Don

No, I don't have a laptop - as of yet. Still, I am going to give the instructions that you gave me a try in the next couple of days and see what happens.