iMac (24 2008) keep or sell?

3 posts in this topic

Recently I got hold of a iMac 24in early 2008 from a recyling centre (my workplace) for £30, the power supply was toast so I bought one from eBay for £80 and all is working great now, my main computer is a quad i7 4770k with a gtx 780 3gb, should I sell the iMac and get a newer one or leave it? I'm studying biology and chemistry just now so a nice clean no fuss workspace is a must for me, I'm thinking it would be pointless to try to get a more powerful iMac given the fact I have a really powerful dual boot hackintosh 5ft away, from people's experiance, will the iMac (2.8ghz) be able to preform well in 2015 with Yosemite and a few productivity and study apps now and again, or should I just sell it, save a bit and get a newer iMac??

I personally like the 24" size, it gives more real estate than the 21" but it doesn't take up as much as 27".

As far as using it for a basic productivity/study machine, it's more than suited for the task. Personally I'd throw an SSD in there, you wouldn't believe the performance increase (I did it in my late '08 MBP), even with SATA II. With an SSD you'd think it were a newer machine.

I wouldn't sell it unless you've already got money saved, the most you'll probably get if it's stock specs is $650 or so. Maybe less these days. I'd keep it and use it if you aren't using it intensely.