Make a Clone bootable backup of your Mac OS X86 drive

wallet

12 posts in this topic

Hi,

I will described how to make a bootable backup data of your macosx86 system drive.

You must have:

- personal backup 4 software ( there's an evalutation copy)

- an empty hard drive.

First download and install Personal Backup 4 software.

Open it

select CLONE option

Select Your macosx drive for the source and select you backup drive for the destination.

Personalbackup1.jpg

BEfore Click the play button on personalbackup you must verify if your two drives have " Ignore Ownership on this Volume " is unchecked

for that:

Select the destination volume's icon in the Finder and display information about the

volumes. To do this, select File > Get Info, or press Command+I.

Expand the Ownership & Permissions section of the Info window by clicking its disclosure triangle.

Make sure that Ignore Ownership on this Volume is unchecked on this volume.

I Unlock the lock symbol too to make sure that there will have no problem on the drive

autorisation1.jpg

autorisation2.jpg

now you can press the PLAY button on personal backup.

the sofware will say you that He must admin files before make the copy, click admin.

It takes me 30 min to copy 4,3 go on my backup data.

now you have a identical MACosx86 drive.

So if you want to reboot on this backup drive so as to make the reverse clone copy, you must know your backup disk name.

Go to disk utilities, click on your backup volume and click on Informations.

It will give you the name od the drive disk1s2 for example

infovolume.jpg

Wrote on paper the name and reboot.

On the darwin boot click on a key so as have a personal boot

Wrote : rd="'name of your drive" ex : rd=disk1s2

It will read the backup data drive.

Now you can open personal backup and Do the reverse clone like this

Personalbackup2.jpg

Voila!

sorry for bad english writing

:)

Is this a true clone? It works pretty much as described, except that when I take out the original drive, it won't boot from the cloned drive. It does boot from the cloned drive if the original drive is in when it starts the boot process before you input rd=disk*s*. However, my original drive was a notebook drive with a converter that I want to completely remove fom the machine. Any way to do this?

I forgot to explain that we have to keep the Old system boot to boot from backup.

that's the Bad part of this method.

So if you can boot to darwin, you cand boot from the backup disk, then do the reverse clone copy .

I you cannot boot anymore to the darwin

Install a new Mac osx on Vmware, it takes 15 minutes...

so After you can boot from the disk with rd=disk"?"s"?"

I am unclear on several things in your last post, probably a translation problem:

1. "we have to keep the Old system boot" by this do you mean keep the original boot partition in the computer, and therefore the old drive? if so, how is it that we are making a "Clone bootable backup"?.

2. "So if you can boot to darwin, you CAND boot from the backup disk" Did you mean can or can't or something else? If I can (I can't) then I don't really need old system boot, right? Why would some boot and others not?

3. "install a new Mac osx on Vmware" I have never used the Vmware install, am completely unfamiliar with the process and terminology (I have recently played with Vmware in an Asterisk/Trixbox Linux install context). Isn't it redundant and defeating the purpose of cloning if install OS X with Vmware when I was originally trying to clone my original working install? Or am I doing some sort of partial install? When/how (Can I follow the Vmware install how to in the Wiki?) do I stop the Vmware install?

Why arent these cloning methods actually cloning OS X86? seems they are actually defective clones.

P.S. "sorry for bad english writing" Please don't apologize, I appreciate your help and that you are trying at all, let alone explain complex procedures in a foreign language. Your English is actually pretty good. Thanks.

"Clone bootable backup" is perhaps not appropriate.

In fact The backup drive create by personal backup 4 is the exact copy of the MAc osc system drive, but The backup cannot boot by itself.

we need with this method to enter to the boot menu by pressing a key before mac os Start.

In fact the Mac os Drive allow us to boot to darwin.

After we can Boot from the backup disk.

therefore I didn't try to Leave the Mac os Drive and keep and activate ( with partition magic or other stuff) the backup drive in my computer. I gonna try that...

In fact my method is useful if your mac os didn't works properly after made some updates or modifications.

i don't know if it's more clear now for you but don't hesiate too ask me some questions.

Bigdawg, you need to follow other steps to make it bootable. I am not sure if you need ALL the steps, but I can guarantee that if you follow them, your new cloned drive WILL boot. If the new clon is a harddrive by itself (not a partition amongst other partitions) then it would be a good idea to put Darwin bootloader on the MBR of that drive. Second, you will need to have boot1h on the partition of your clone, and third and last, you need to bless it. Please follow the steps I outline in this post and you will get a bootable clone:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=30322

Good luck ...

I tried your method from the 30322 post. Mac would not boot completely with the -s operator, stopped at sort of a blank light-blue screen, with a (moveable) mouse pointer and nothing else. So I rebooted normally, with just the new disk and the DVD drive connected (my mobo only has one ide channel, so, can't have both drives and DVD simultaneously on ide). Everything worked o.k. up to BLESSING. I have had trouble blessing in previous attempts to clone.... I got the "Could not find IODeviceTree" message when I attempted it. Any other ideas? I guess I could just leave DVD in all of the time or do a new install, but I feel like I am learning more about how the OS works by troubleshooting this issue.