PS2 Keyboard issue after 10.4.8 update

SleeplessMedia

9 posts in this topic

I have a PS2 Keyboard USB Mouse setup. Under 10.4.7 I used the etc/rc workaround by adding the following lines to my etc/rc file:

kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext

kextload /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext

This worked like a charm in order to restore keyboard input prior to starting the GUI. After updating with the newly released JaS 10.4.8 SSE2 Intel combo patch, I have no PS2 input again. I guess the new boot sequence dosen't utilize this file or bypasses it somehow? Since I cannot afford to buy a USB keyboard at the moment, can anybody suggest a workaround?... Everything else with the update was flawless....

Thanks in advance

Try booting in single user mode (-s) and at the command prompt, type:

mount -uw /
nano /private/etc/rc

press Control-O to save
press Control-X to exit

type: reboot

Or boot the install DVD, go to Terminal in the Utilities menu. Type:

nano /Volumes/(your-OSX-partition-name)/private/etc/rc

press Control-O to save
press Control-X to exit

Reboot

Mounted the partition under the boot disk... "nano:command not found"... isn't nano the default editor? if not, is there another editor I can call up from the command line? I tried pico, vi I tried the coimmand "edit" I am not really proficient at the command line...

I have a wierd workaround I can try. I can access an NTFS share on another machine on my network and try to cut and paste the code into the file but i dont know if that will work... I will use macpilot to show hidden files, open the file in the text editor, cut the code from another open file and paste it in, close the file with the mouse, pray it asks to save it, and reboot... here goes

I formatted and reinstalled. Only this time I enabled automatic boot into root user prior to install of 10.4.8 update then when the machine restarted, i pasted the lines into etc/rc and saved and rebooted. no more issues. what a pain in the ass... thanks for trying Rammjet .....