Noob question about G5 Front I/O Panel

3 posts in this topic

Hello,

I've stumbled upon a pre-modified Powermac G5 case and im trying to make it work.

My issue is with trying to connect the front panel to the motherboard.

Now I've read the guide and found the schematics about which pins need to connect to which. It's just that in my case the pin header connector seems to have been removed entirely.

So with my limited amount of experience dealing with this kind of thing i'd imagine just putting new pin headers into the holes and working from there should work. Could anyone confirm that it should infact work this way?

Many thanks

post-1531493-0-21384700-1431020217_thumb.jpg

Hello,

I've stumbled upon a pre-modified Powermac G5 case and im trying to make it work.

My issue is with trying to connect the front panel to the motherboard.

Now I've read the guide and found the schematics about which pins need to connect to which. It's just that in my case the pin header connector seems to have been removed entirely.

So with my limited amount of experience dealing with this kind of thing i'd imagine just putting new pin headers into the holes and working from there should work. Could anyone confirm that it should infact work this way?

Many thanks

If I were you and you don't really know what you're doing, I would buy a cable like this: http://g5atxcables.weebly.com/store/p2/G5_Front_Panel_to_ATX_Adapter_Cable.html

I made one myself without soldering, but I did have te stock cable, but you not having that one, I would pay the 25 euros and save yourself the troubles.

• 2 weeks later...

Even if you buy the cable you will need to solder a header back onto the circuit board. If the board doesnt have any more missing components it should work.

The connector you are looking is from the molex milli-grid series, but any connector with 2mm pitch will work.