Weird networking bug - have IP address, system only sends ARP packets

Funzo

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have setup a few pcs with yosemite but now I have a very strange bug that I have no idea how to solve. My RT82xx lan card is recognized out of the box, it connects and gets an IP from the router. The issue is that it doesn't actually send any IP packets. I can't ping the router, can't load web pages or anything. I downloaded an app called arpspyX to test out the ARP packet flow and it can successfully discover all the other computers on the network. I also ran tcpdump and I can only see ARP packets there, no IP packets whatsoever.

This is my second install, the issue occurs before installing any custom kexts so I know that it isn't a conflict there. I also tested it on another router and the issue is exactly the same (also tested routers with other computer).

I'm pretty stumped but I feel like I can't be so far off from a fully working LAN card. Anyone have suggestions?

Edit: Also forgot to mention that network utility shows packets sending and receiving all the time with 0 errors

Hello.

What is its exact model?

Thanks for the reply. It is a RTL8201CP chipset, it's onboard an asus p5n73-am motherboard, the board has an nvidia chipset / core 2 duo just in case that is relevant. Also, as a side note, I tested internet connection using bluetooth and it works properly.

Another thing I noticed is that in the console output, it says eth0 is active with no flow control, not sure if that is normal.

Thanks but unfortunately that driver seems to be 32bit only. Do you know of a way to debug the existing driver? I can code but I have never messed around with driver stuff before, I just feel like it must require such a small patch...