OSx86 Install JaS 10.4.7 AMD problem

jonesy827

4 posts in this topic

I have just installed the 10.4.7 JaS Image via VMware (I could not get the dvd I burned to boot) to a 20 gig primary partition. I Erased a 20GB fat32 partition via the Disk Utility, and installed onto the new HFS+ Partition. My other partition is a 160GB XP partition.

Whenever I boot via chain0 or a boot manager(extended fdisk), the computer hangs with the blinking _ in the top right corner.

System Specs

Gigabyte Nforce 3 Mobo

AMD Athlon64 Venice 3000+

1gig ram

200gig IDE Hard drive

nvidia 6600gt

Packages Installed:

10.4.7 AMD Update

AMD Kernel

Any Ideas?

Boot the install DVD. When it asks you to hit Enter or F8, hit F8. Select your OSX partition and hit Enter.

If OSX boots fine using this method, why not use the OSX bootloader.

First set the OSX partition active using any Windows/Linux disk/partition utility (like Fdisk) or use Fdisk built into OSX: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=22844

Then boot into OSX and set the timeout parameter in boot.plist to reveal the Darwin bootloader: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=188186

The Only option when i boot from the DVD is the installation itself I belive...my OSX partition doesnt show up.

I cannot test this natively because the DVD will not boot. It just sits at boot after detecting the IDE drives and sits until I open the disc tray.

The Only option when i boot from the DVD is the installation itself I belive...my OSX partition doesnt show up.

I cannot test this natively because the DVD will not boot. It just sits at boot after detecting the IDE drives and sits until I open the disc tray.

Did you test the DVD to see if it can see your partition?

To use the OSX bootloadler, you don't boot into the installer where you had the hang. The bootloader happens before that.

Just boot the DVD to the first step where it asks you to hit Enter or F8. Then hit F8 and see what you can see. If your partition shows up, then you can try to boot into it. If the partition doesn't show up, then it is possible that in VMWare, you didn't actually install OSX to the partition. You might have installed it to a virtual disk file and placed the disk file on the partition. Of course, that won't boot natively.