Problems with Niresh's Mavericks distro - please help?

SimonP

2 posts in this topic

Hardware: Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R (F4) motherboard hacked to use a Xeon E5450 (3.0GHz x 4) processor, ATI HD5750 graphics card, 4GB memory, 60GB SSD.

I'm very new to this but managed to install Niresh's Mavericks distro on my backup computer without any hacking or messing about with the software so before I go any further, many thanks to Niresh for a wonderfully easy way of making a Hackintosh.

However, a few things don't work - 'maps' for example. I have Mavericks installed as a Virtual Machine on my main workstation and I gather the reason maps doesn't work there is due to the lack of Open-GL support in VMware. Is this also the case with Niresh's distro when installed natively (rather than as a VM)?

In addition, and maybe connected to this, I am having trouble with it not seeing my graphics card and incorrectly detecting my monitor (which is 1280x1024 but OS X is seeing it as 1024x768). I have a spare HD3650 card if that will work better.

Finally, It seems to mess up my BIOS settings each time I boot it up. Thankfully it offers me "Use last working configuration" so I don't have to reset everything manually but is there a way around that?

Bearing in mind that I am new to this, could someone talk me through what I need to do to get this working please? If you need any further info I'll be happy to supply it.

Thanks,
Simon.

(P.S. Everything works perfectly in Windows 7 and 8.1 so I'm confident that it's not hardware)

A Virtual Machine, emulates all the hardware, CPU(32bit only), Graphics(VF1GA.SVGA only),Bios, Ethernet, etc.... So that being said, the CPU handles all the load for the hardware emulation,  it does not recognize any real hardware, it presents a "Virtual"  predefined hardware profile to a Operating System, Windows, Linux, OS X.   OS X use's OpenGL for graphics.  OS X API's, Extreme and Core Image, (QE/CI) use supported GPUs, including intel's "I" series CPUs   to render graphics. 

Basically running OS X in a Virtual Machines will not utilize QE/CI.  Installing OS X to your system will. The Niresh  "Distro" will support QE/CI and your Modified Motherboard/CPU , you will need various kernel Extensions,(Kexts) for your Audio (Realtek ALC889A), Graphics card (RadeonHD5750), and Ethernet(Realtek RTL8111B).  All those kexts are readily available.

However I recommend using a "Vanilla" install, which generally is more stable and specific to your hardware,

The CMOS/Bios Reset is a known issue with the AppleRTC.kext.

To fix it, open up a Terminal window copy each command below separately, hitting enter each time and enter your password. 

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x2e\x0f\xb6|\xeb\x2e\x0f\xb6|' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions