Problem erasing partition for OS X Mavericks 10.9 install.

Qwertyness

5 posts in this topic

I am trying to install Niresh OS X Mavericks 10.9 on a partition on the same disk as my Windows install.  In windows I created a 200GB partition formatted with NTFS.  When I booted with Niresh and tried to erase the partition to format with the Mac journaled file system, I was greeted with this error: "MediaKit reports not enough space on device for requested operation."

Since the partition erase didn't work, I also tried to boot Niresh with some unallocated space on the drive and create the partition in OS X.  Disk Utility got stuck on the "preparing to create partition" bar.

I tried the first method on my other laptop however, and it worked fine (minus the inability to boot, but that's another problem tongue.png.pagespeed.ce.Se3PVSAzFy.png)

The laptop I'm attempting to set for dual boot is an Asus VevoBook with Windows 8.1, an i7 processor, a 750GB 5400RPM HHD, and Intel 4000 HD graphics.

It has an Asus motherboard with BIOS version 207 from American Megatrends Inc.

The other laptop is an Alienware M17x with Windows 8, an i7 processor, a 500GB 7200RPM HDD, and an ATI Radeon HD 7970m graphics card.

Is there any other way I could successfully install OS X onto a partition on my Windows disk?

If any other information is needed, please ask.

you should use retail.

try to create the partition on windows but don´t format it. select don´t format this partition and let it in raw format.

or boot with something like gparted and format in hfs+ and return to the installer.

you should use retail.

try to create the partition on windows but don´t format it. select don´t format this partition and let it in raw format.

or boot with something like gparted and format in hfs+ and return to the installer.

I've tried RAW format and it doesn't show the disk as mounted on the OS X install boot.

I also can't use retail because I don't have access to a real Mac to create an ISO.

With that third option, can you explain how to do that? I'm a noob, sorry :P

EDIT: I think I've figured out why I am unable to erase the partition. I think its not the partition that is having size problems, but the fact that my EFI system partition is only 100MB and too small to complete the reformatting operation.  I do not however know how to resize this EFI partition.

Help on how to complete such a task would be appreciated, and I would rather the method allow me to keep my current Windows install without erasing the entire disk.

the raw don´t need to be mounted in order to be formatted as hfs+.

you dont need a real mac to do it: http://olarila.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4578

for the third thing, it is a live linux cd where you boot it to a disk manager without the windows limitations.

The error reoccurred no matter if it was mounted or not.

I ended up figuring out how to resize the EFI partition in order to allow more space for the drive reformat and was able to successfully install OS X.

I do however have another problem now.  When I attempted to boot OS X for the first time, I received a kernel panic.

(Image at http://qwertyness.com/images/kernelpanic.jpg.  Sorry if its upside-down :P)

Do you know how to fix this?

Some of the relevant BIOS settings:

Advanced Tab -

SATA Mode: AHCI

DVMT Pre-Allocated: 64MB

Legacy USB Support: Enabled

XHCI Pre-Boot Mode: Smart Auto

Boot Tab -

Launch CSM: Enabled

Launch PXE OpROM policy: Disabled

Security Tab -

Secure Boot Control: Disabled