ATI FirePro M7740 No QE/CI on Dell M6400

imrazor

3 posts in this topic

I recently loaded Mavericks onto my Dell Precision M6400 laptop. I’ve managed to get most devices working with the notable exception of my GPU (ATI FirePro M7740, RV740, same chip as Mobility Radeon 4860). I have native resolution, but absolutely no graphics acceleration. I believe I’ve taken the proper steps to enable my GPU:

1) “Injected” my device ID (0x94a31002) into AMD4600Controller.kext and ATIRadeonX2000.kext
2) Set GraphicsEnabler=Yes  in org.chameleon.Boot.plist
3) Set ATIConfig=Flicker in org.chameleon.Boot.plist (also tried Gliff and Shrike)
4) Forced my EDID in /System/Library/Displays/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-756e6b6e/DisplayProductID-717

These actions result in a blank screen (Flicker), or sometimes a screen with flickering lines (Gliff and Shrike). Reversing these actions and placing “Graphics Mode”=“1920x1200x32” in the boot.plist file restores functionality.

I have also noticed a line in the various kernel messages at boot that may be a problem:

Controller: ATI RV730 (vendor ID: 1002, device ID: aa38)

This is NOT correct (I have an RV740 and the device ID is 94a3.) Could this be a conflicting kext?

I’m all out of ideas. Any and all suggestions welcome…

• 4 weeks later...

If it thinks the device id is aa38, I think you should try using that. Why it thinks that I'm not sure but it's worth a shot. Did you try adding aa38 to the kext? Also you should see if you can login via remote desktop or vnc after making those changes, maybe then you could get a better idea of what's going on.