D-Link DGE 528T

johnydoe

16 posts in this topic

Hey folks, I installed Mac OSx yesterday and except my gigabit network card from D-Link everything seems to work great.

On the D-Link website there are drivers for mac os but after installing them nothing changed. The card ist just not listed anywhere.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

greets,

johny

Get the vendor id and device id of the card.

Go into Windows -> Device Manager. Under Network Adpaters, find the ethernet card. Get Properties on it. Click the Details tab. The vendor id is the 4 characters following VEN and the device id is the 4 characters following DEV.

Build a string out of those of the form: "0x" + (device id) + (vendor id) like 0x11864300

Go into Terminal (in the Utilities folder). Edit this file:

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Find the line: <string>0x813910ec 0x13001186 0x12111113</string>

Either add your string to it or modify one of the entries to be your string.

Press Control-O to save and Control-X to exit.

Delete the 2 files: /System/Library/Extensions.mkext and /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

Repair permissions on your OSX partition

Get the vendor id and device id of the card.

Go into Windows -> Device Manager. Under Network Adpaters, find the ethernet card. Get Properties on it. Click the Details tab. The vendor id is the 4 characters following VEN and the device id is the 4 characters following DEV.

Build a string out of those of the form: "0x" + (device id) + (vendor id) like 0x11864300

Go into Terminal (in the Utilities folder). Edit this file:

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Find the line: <string>0x813910ec 0x13001186 0x12111113</string>

Either add your string to it or modify one of the entries to be your string.

Press Control-O to save and Control-X to exit.

Delete the 2 files: /System/Library/Extensions.mkext and /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

Repair permissions on your OSX partition

wow, thanks, I'll try that later today

I just realized that my vendor and device id are the same as yours ^_^

allright, so I tried what you told me to. unfortunatly it didnt help at all :D

in the process I remembered from an ati thread that you need to switch device and vendor id. in my case it would be 43001186.

anywhoo, I tried both, nothing changed. no network card showed up in the system profiler.

are you sure the d-link dge 528t has a realtek chipset?

n my case it would be 43001186...are you sure the d-link dge 528t has a realtek chipset?

0x43001186 sounds right.

Google is your friend:

1. Vendor: D-Link

Model No: DGE-528T

Description: FreeBSD 5.3 fails to detect this GIGABIT network card. Card itself have common Realtek 8169S chipset but combination of vendor and device id does not match.

2. D-Link DGE-528T R8169

There are many others.

ok, so I got it working. I actually needed to add the dev/ven id in the AppleRTL8169 kext file.

As I was looking through the kext file from the original drivers from the d-link homepage I saw references to the realtek 8169 chipset. so apperently the dge 528t has the 8169 chipset.

• 3 months later...
np, I figured it out eventually. the important thing is, it's working now :(

Any of you outline outhere now...? (got a question concerning the dge-258t

Niels

I'm really sorry. When I generated the command above for editing on the info.plist, I clicked on the wrong file and copied its path.

Are you online now - (got a question concerning the dge-528t network adapter)

• 2 months later...

I just got one of these cards and installed the drivers from the cd, checked the kext and the device and vendor IDs are there already (probably installed by the driver installer) but I still get no card showing up anywhere.

From reading this thread it's hard to tell if the kext that is mentioned is the one I'm supposed to be editing and there certainly isn't a line with 3 IDs like the one listed above so I'm a bit confused :)

Any help for a mac noob?

Cheers

Pete

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...