Lenovo Ideapad Z710 - Installer reboots quickly

sharky9

47 posts in this topic

I'll try the other boot later tonight Pimentalx86 - glad you got your i7 to work Vordem, my i5 damn sure won't work right now.  I looked at that URL for creating all of those SSDT's and such....no way I'm doing all of that {censored}.  

I'll post later about the uefi change and clover.....thanks :-)

WLAN is disabled in the bios already; I've tried UEFI and legacy with the same results.  I have already patched the mach_kernel as described in the instructions - the Installation GUI still doesn't pop up.  I would be a much happier camper if I could just see the Welcome screen from the installer.

1) Vordem, to do the initial boot installer off of the USB stick, what loader are you using, clover or chameleon? 

2) What exact flags did you use with the boot option command to get the installation to launch on your Z710?  We are 3 days into this procedure and haven't had any success with that.

I'll try and pull down the 10.9.1 retail USB stick that you are using and patch the mach_kernel on that as well and attempt with that just to match your config.  I set the computer to download that image this morning before I left for work and came home tonight and saw the download didn't finish...have to start over :-(

Thanks,

Larry

Ding Ding Ding!!!   Finally got a little success.  Tried chameleon, along with flags "npci=0x2000 -f xpcm-free IGPEnabler=Yes" and I now have an Installation screen!!  One major problem though....the mouse 'movement' works but NOT the buttons on the trackpad; and I need to be able to click/select "Utilities" to format my disk before clicking 'Next'.  Hitting the tab key goes between the back and the next/continue options....what keys to you hit to make the drop-down selections at the top of the screen to pull down?  Darn, if it isn't one thing, it's another.

Another question idea since I have found a good boot flag is....should I continue with this 10.9.0 retail image or get the 10.9.1 retail image and start fresh from there?  Is there any benefit to the .1?  Fixes?  I'm fresh in, so I haven't lost time or effort yet ;-)

Thanks, I'm going to go for a run in the neighborhood to workout some stress for the day....be back in an hour to ready your replies/suggestions :-)

Never mind, other BIG problem is the installer does NOT see my fresh new hard drive to format!!  Huge problem, so I powered off the laptop.  It's not surprising though :-(

Hello

Great Job! :thumbsup_anim: After 3 days... finally a success :D

Try a USB Mouse... after install, looking for a kext for your trackpad...

No... continue with 10.9 after install you can just donwload a combo update 10.9.1 from Apple site and update OS version... After install OSX, copy this patched mach_kernel from usb stick for your HDD folder(root folder)

A guide to install Chameleon: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/295630-instala%C3%A7%C3%A3o-e-configura%C3%A7%C3%A3o-do-chameleon-bootloader/

A guide to get Power management for your CPU: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/295587-power-management-for-sandyivy-bridgehaswell-cpus/

Thanks, the big problem now that you missed above is that the Installer or Disk Utility app does not see my internal hard drive - so install is not possible. My Bios and a Windows Installation CD does see it though :-(

Weird, swapped the new drive with another new 500GB and Mac installer saw it - so I'm formatting it now.  Glad I had another new one in the box just laying around collecting dust :-)  I'll send my 1TB back to Amazon, it was never formatted, that's for sure!  Also, I had to use my old G4 keyboard and mouse since the only thing that works with this Installer on my laptop right now are the Control, Space Bar, Tab, and Enter keys.  No numbers or alpha characters or mouse buttons...yikes this process is ugly so far!!

1) Okay the installer finished - I didn't catch it in time before it restarted to copy over the patched kernel from the flash to the hard drive installation, so I rebooted back into the Installer again but just long enough to pull up a terminal to do so:

cd "/Volumes/Macintosh HD"

cp /mach_kernel .

ls -al  (displayed the correct mach_kernel date/time

2) Exited installer and rebooted.....

3) Obviously the installer did NOT make the hard drive bootable (why not?)

4) Reboot with USB Installer as boot-up device

5) Selecting the HD to boot off with no settings just locks up at a black screen after it complains about Bluetooth controller....it also complains a few lines up about the CPU not supported?  Hmmmm.

Selecting the HD to boot in Chaemelon with the same flags I did for install "-v IGPEnabler=Yes" does same thing....the installation doesn't continue or pick up where it left off?

Confused, and going to bed now...sigh!

I'll try that, and yes I copied the patched kernerl from the stick; and I use the command "ls -al" that I referenced above because that will show hidden/system files fyi - The Unix OS commands in general I do know a fair bit about thank goodness ;-) 

I tried your commands, but it still won't finish, still locks up after complains of Bluetooth Controller (which I care nothing about anyway) there are a few lines that complain about "unknown CPU type (0x3C)" and powermanagement won't be supported.

Oh well, I gave this a LOT of effort but it just isn't worth a lot of my time today - no OS should be this difficult to load and boot up unfortunately.

Thanks for the help....

I completely re-did the entire install process again, rebooted back into the installer so I could run a terminal to copy over the patched kernel.  Verified the patched_kernel was different than the original kernel by the usr/bin/diff command.  

Rebooted a number of times to boot off the HD so the installation would complete using misc flags -v -f, IGPEnabler, no flags, and other combinations - all end with the same result.  The GUI doesn't start, just locks up at a black console screen - last message is about a Bluetooth Controller Transport error.

I guess I will wait for 10.9.2 image in a few weeks and see if patching is even necessary....this is crazy though.

One more try with this stupid thing before I turned the machine off for the night.  I gave it one last boot with the "-x" safe mode flag...and the installation picked up where it left off.  Very disappointing though, because it apparently did not write any boot information to the hdd - the system still will not boot unless you use the USB stick; and of course, the display is ugly using the generic 1024x768 which is useless for a photographer and photo editor like myself...I need the full 1600x900 display like Windows uses on it.

I just downloaded Chamelon-2.1-r2109.tgz file - I might see if I can copy it to the USB stick, reboot back in the system with the "-x" flag since that is the only way I can get to my desktop, and then see if there are installation instructions to install the bootloader to the hdd.  I never see an icon on my desktop for "Macintosh HD" though....which is not making me feel good either.

I also will try that MBeast application this weekend to see if it will help fix the Video resolution problems....hope so ;-)

I completely re-did the entire install process again, rebooted back into the installer so I could run a terminal to copy over the patched kernel.  Verified the patched_kernel was different than the original kernel by the usr/bin/diff command.  

Rebooted a number of times to boot off the HD so the installation would complete using misc flags -v -f, IGPEnabler, no flags, and other combinations - all end with the same result.  The GUI doesn't start, just locks up at a black console screen - last message is about a Bluetooth Controller Transport error.

I guess I will wait for 10.9.2 image in a few weeks and see if patching is even necessary....this is crazy though.

IGPEnabler is only for Chimera... What bootloader are you using?

I am using Chameleon (Legacy boot) - only one I have luck with....and the IGPEnabler=Yes is the ONLY way the USB Installer will launch on this machine unfortunately, any other way of booting will result in sadness.

I got Chameleon to load and activate on the hdd so the flash drive is no longer needed to boot - but now the condition is even worse.  No matter what flags I boot with, including "-x" the system reboots two seconds after displaying the white apple screen.  Wow, I give up.....I'm drinking tonight!!  

One more attempt while I was drinking a few tonight lol; I erased the Mac partition completely and installed Niresh's 10.8.2 distro since all of these 'common' problems started in 10.8.5 and I wanted to see how my machine would act with this image.

Hardly any problems at all:

IGPEnabler=Yes  flag was required to make the installer GUI come up completely like 10.9, but after the installer finished, the machine rebooted off of the HD (yay!!!) and finished it's final install settings - then Niresh's post-install scripts started running one after the other and it was done.  I rebooted the laptop just to see if it needed ANY flags and it doesn't.  Damn....I'm impressed with Mr Niresh so far ;-)

But, I am in a 'virgin' state so-to-speak, where no audio is present and no display driver...thus the generic 1024x768 useless display resolution.   Any experts recommend where I go from here?  I hear you have to know what exact audio you have in your laptop the first time, because if you don't install the right kext the first time, others don't work at all.

Still confused, but a booting OSX on this Lenovo anyway, which is a big plus.  I downloaded the 'Beast' 5.5.5 for Mountain Lion, but afraid to do anything with it right now.....

I am using Chameleon (Legacy boot) - only one I have luck with....and the IGPEnabler=Yes is the ONLY way the USB Installer will launch on this machine unfortunately, any other way of booting will result in sadness.

The IGPEnabler flag is ignored by Chameleon.

Booting with "Graphics Mode"="1600x900x32" finally wakes up the display resolution, I didn't have to install anything ;-)  I put this addition in the plist file in /Extra to see if it would boot with this option by default without me having to type it every time at boot...will see if that works permanently.

Integrated Gigabit ethernet question:  DPCIManager identifies this as Qualcomm Atheros QCA8171.  Most of the Atheros kexts I have seen start with AR815x in their model numbers and only "Realtek" models have my 8171 listed.  Do I have some sort of custom mix?  I'm trying to guess which one would be better to try and install, the AR8151 or the Lnx2Mac's kext for the RTL81xx?

I have no idea what audio kext to install for audio either, the DPCIManager doesn't help much with that identification only showing Intel 8 Series/C220 Series HD Audio Controller :-(

Hmmm....

4 hours I have spent on attempting to get audio to work - wow, no luck.  I'm still amazed at how difficult this hackintosh attempt is with current-day hardware. 

After 4 hours I'm leaning towards forgetting anymore work with VoodooHDA on my machine....love how my laptop complains in the logs about "the audio device list should never be empty"....haha, no {censored}.

I can just imagine how long I will work to get network functionality.....

Well the network portion was actually the easiest - found the site Olarila and browsed their kexts and found one with an exact match for my PCI id - and I'm writing on this forum with my 'hackintosh now :-)

I only have 2 issues to be resolved and I should be good to go:

1) Audio - I need to find files AppleHDA 2.4.7fc4 for my Intel 8C208086, and AppleHDAController 2.4.7fc4 for my Intel 0C0C8086.  These files are not available on Olarila, and google searching them only reveals pages where they are 'mentioned' but never downloadable.

2) When I shut the lid on this machine, it turns the screen off, but the laptop remains on - and I don't like that of course.

• 2 months later...