Media Issues on Mountain Lion 10.8 Virtual Machine

10 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I am new to the world of the Mac OS X and have recently installed the OS X Mountain lion 10.8 Vanilla onto a VMWare virtual machine. I have been able to successfully do all the updates, install the additional VM Tools (I have VMWare 10.1), and display adapters. I have been having some issues with the lag on the way iTunes works or any kind of media. I have gone through countless troubleshooting techniques and have not been able to figure it out. Listed below will be my specs, if anyone can help please do so! :D

My Rig:

Type: AlienWare M18x-R2

Manufacturer: Dell

Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit/Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.8

CPU: Core i-7 4.8 Ghz 12 cores

Memory: 64 GB DDR3 Ram

Video Card: 2 AMD Radeon HD 7970M

Sound Card: Sound Blaster Recon3Di

Hard Drive: 250 GB Solid State

HeadPhones: Turtle Beach Kilo

Mouse: Razor Naga Epic

Dual Monitors

My Virtual Machine Specs:

16 GB Ram

6 Processors at 4 cores

This should be enough? 

Thanks I have put a lot of time and money into building PCs in the past and decided to go with a "Build it yourself" one. That is very odd that you say that because all the Linux distributions and Windows OS`s that I make Virtual Machines out of never have an issue. I am really bothered that the iTunes has issues with the kind of specs that I have allowed it to use. I mean were simply talking about playing a music file here. 

Thanks I have put a lot of time and money into building PCs in the past and decided to go with a "Build it yourself" one. That is very odd that you say that because all the Linux distributions and Windows OS`s that I make Virtual Machines out of never have an issue. I am really bothered that the iTunes has issues with the kind of specs that I have allowed it to use. I mean were simply talking about playing a music file here. 

The thing is, there is no hardware accel. in a VM. I have 3 hard drives, so I never use VM's...

You can try  installing OS X, but I don't think the 7970's will work... maybe it will though :)

The thing is, there is no hardware accel. in a VM. I have 3 hard drives, so I never use VM's...

You can try  installing OS X, but I don't think the 7970's will work... maybe it will though :)

Yes I am aware of this but that shouldn't matter. Lets not get off topic here (: I think I have accepted the fact that my graphics cards will not work this is OS X Mountain Lion that I have running in the Virtual Machine. What I am puzzled about is that it is honestly a simple music file that is being played via the iTunes(That was updated and patched by the way) is kinda lagging in regards to the quality of the sound. For instance this isn't some corrupt file issue, this is the song having some delay time and when I watch how the processor for the Virtual Machine is handling, I don't see anything wrong! :( Honestly think think this is a bug and hopefully someone can help me out with maybe a patch or something! 

Your problem is using a VM. osx is dependent on graphics acceleration and without it most apps will be "laggy" and some won't open at all. 7970 works and you can get 2 cards to work, just not in true crossfire.

Your problem is using a VM. osx is dependent on graphics acceleration and without it most apps will be "laggy" and some won't open at all. 7970 works and you can get 2 cards to work, just not in true crossfire.

Is that really going to make a difference? I don't wanna have to make a dual boot on my machine with the Mountain Lion 10.8 software. Honestly only because of the space that I currently have in this machine, I like sticking to my Virtual Machines. In regards to how the OS works, I guess I am having a hard time dealing with the fact that because I'm running this in a virtual machine that then I will have problems in regards to how it runs. Going to see if I can find a way to solve this!

Yes it really does matter, osx does not work properly without qe/ci. Another downfall of osx is its limited audio support. You will either have to edit AppleHDA or use VoodooHDA. 

You will have to make a decision if you really want to use osx and make a native install. VM is just for testing and will not be able to give full support like you need.

• Like 2

Yes it really does matter, osx does not work properly without qe/ci. Another downfall of osx is its limited audio support. You will either have to edit AppleHDA or use VoodooHDA.

You will have to make a decision if you really want to use osx and make a native install. VM is just for testing and will not be able to give full support like you need.

Okay that was what I was hoping you were not going to say :/ I can see that you understand this issue better than I do. I am new to Mac OS X and honestly don't know what AppleHDA is or VoodooHDA is. Could you please inform me of how to either configure this AppleHDA, and or install VoodooHDA.