MeepBeep

Building a mini-itx computer, need recommendations

8 posts in this topic

Hi!

I would like to build a new computer, that will be used both as a HTPC and as a home server used for storage, Time Machine and stage environments for web projects. I've already decided that I want to build *something* with a BitFenix Prodigy case, just because they are so cute! I've tried OS X Server a bit and really like it, so I'd like to see if I can build something that OS X can be installed on.

So, I would like to ask you guys what kind of components you would buy for this? The case uses a Mini-ITX (or Micro-ATX motherboard for certain models) so that's my only limitation right now. I might also have an Intel i5 3570K with socket 1150 that could be used, if that's any good with osx86.

What would you recommend for this "project" ?

Thanks,

Marcus

Advertisement

Hello and welcome!

I'd suggest a GA-H87N-WiFi, altough it's wireless module is not compatible. But there are cheap miniPCIe modules on eBay (or similiar sites) and swapping is easy.

Afaik is socket 1150 only for Haswell cpus and they have model numbers starting with a 4 (e.g. i3-4330, i5-4570, i7-4770K), An i5-3570 should be socket 1155 and will not fit to an socket 1150 board ;-)

Best regards

Hello and welcome!

I'd suggest a GA-H87N-WiFi, altough it's wireless module is not compatible. But there are cheap miniPCIe modules on eBay (or similiar sites) and swapping is easy.

Afaik is socket 1150 only for Haswell cpus and they have model numbers starting with a 4 (e.g. i3-4330, i5-4570, i7-4770K), An i5-3570 should be socket 1155 and will not fit to an socket 1150 board ;-)

Best regards

Ah ofc, I mixed up the numbers :P It's a 1155 ofc, but I don't mind if I have to buy a new cpu

Has anyone had any experience with ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE mITX? I'm used to ASUS boards and this one supports the 1155-socket

I did a quick search on the ASUS miniITX board, but noone as it til now used for hackintoshing or result weren't published. So there are no guide available and you will have to try out correct settings, kexts etc. Because of that I wouldn't advise a rookie without patience to buy this board (a bit of gambling if everything works oob or with minor efforts). Additiionally I don't know about compatibility of the H81-chipset...

An my favourite alternative would be a ga-h87n-wifi, but it cost you about 350 SEK more. In exchange it is already often used and there are guides available.

Questions are: Are you a patient person and have alreday experience with hackintoshing/or the will to read lots of guide/technical sheets?

I did a quick search on the ASUS miniITX board, but noone as it til now used for hackintoshing or result weren't published. So there are no guide available and you will have to try out correct settings, kexts etc. Because of that I wouldn't advise a rookie without patience to buy this board (a bit of gambling if everything works oob or with minor efforts). Additiionally I don't know about compatibility of the H81-chipset...

An my favourite alternative would be a ga-h87n-wifi, but it cost you about 350 SEK more. In exchange it is already often used and there are guides available.

Questions are: Are you a patient person and have alreday experience with hackintoshing/or the will to read lots of guide/technical sheets?

I don't mind spending a little more money to get a more "secure" component. I have a friend who advice against Gigabyte-motherboards, though that could be based on older experiences or something (I'm not sure)... But it seems like most mITX-motherboards that have been tested are from Gigabyte, so it doesn't seem like a bad idea to use that.

I have just purchased a GA-H87N-WIFI with a i3 4340, 8GB of RAM. I installed Mavericks using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and set it up using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. Not 1 issue so far. It has been as solid as my MacBook Pro! Definitely recommend this MB. It was a lot easier to set up as a Hackintosh than the last Hackintosh I built about 3 years ago...

Hi, i own a p8z77-i deluxe, only wifi doesnt work, but it's' a mini pci and you can move with one already supported by mavericks.

I dont know about BT, it's' integrated with wi-fi card that is bcm 42328 network intel, sound alc 889