Asus G73JH-xx i7-740QM HD5870m - Mavericks 10.9.X

Kuebeker

94 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Kuebeker  have you updated to 10.9.2 yet ? Be careful it TOTALLY broke my install...I had to do a Time Machine restore, took like 3 hours ..really sucked ..I'm back to 10.9.1 for now ..I hear reports of others with the  update  causing  issues 

Done  many reports  to use Clover boot loader seems to avoid any changes that break your install,during  software  updates,although it's a bit to configure it correctly,I'm going to look into it.

I found the bug. It's SoundFlower. IT craps out when watching Flash video. 

I'll be coding a simple slider to manage the Multi-output Device audio. Something Apple should have done!!!!! Thank you Apple for recycling PC programmers! 

:drool: For now  I can adjust sound from iTunes player volume  slider .works  good 

did you  code a simple slider for volume change ?

Hey guys, just wondering what, if anything, has to be changed from your project here to make it work on a G73Jw. I understand that basically the only difference between mine and the Jh is that I have the NVIDIA 460M graphics card. Additionally, I've managed to get Mavericks installed, but it doesn't boot without my eye-boot drive, I have this awful klaxon-like noise from the speakers when I boot (guessing that's from the mic & speakers always being on? Managed to stop that by keeping my headphones plugged in), none of my USB 3.0 ports work, my keyboard's backlight/Fn functions don't work, and probably a bunch of other issues that I haven't come across yet, because I just got finished installing OS X.

New to the Hackintosh scene, so any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Hello :)
I have an Asus G73JH same as yours. :thumbsup_anim:
I have already installed on my pc Mavericks physically, I am now at the stage where I have to create a boot loader and keep the various kext.
Reading the entire post honestly I'm lost, that being the first time I install a Mac OS X does not know how to use the dsdt file of Kuebeker and how to fix the various kext.
I ask your help for these clarifications so only thanks to you I can have a better system and I can maybe after learning the operation, I can help you to fix any component that does not work yet!

Thanks again, I trust in your help! Sorry for my english, i am Italian!
:D

ok  you have a clean Mavericks  install...now you you just have to install kexts provided,and a few tweaks  and you good 

download this  kext folder   unzip to desktop     :   http://www.filedropper.com/kexts

drag "Extra" folder  onto your  Root drive  (where your mavericks is ) replace your other extra if you have one  with this one

download folder "Tools" unzip to destop then drag into applications folder :  http://www.filedropper.com/tools  use "kext utility" to install  the patched kexts  you can drag them into kext utility after you install kexts with kext utility, you have to remove the following kexts      " AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext" from     System/Library/Extensions     on your root drive     reboot and  hope it works  all the hard work is already done thanks to  us  mavericks  !

Enjoy  :thumbsup_anim:

~Drone 

• Like 1

Patching the AppleHDA.kext was an insane experience. There is so much {censored} information out there and the lack of real information no wonder it took me way WAY to long to patch this.

You will need to used "Audio MIDI Setup.app" and create a "Multi-Output Device" and select both internal speakers. Rename it to 2.1 Audio.

next you will need to get SoundFlower. Once installed select SoundFlower (2ch) then from the SoundFlower pulldown( see toolbar) select "2.1 Audio". 

Important. In your Multi-output device. Enable Drift Correction. 

DSDT HDEF Patch: 

/ DEVICE IN USE
            Device (HDEF)
            {
                Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
                OperationRegion (HDAR, PCI_Config, 0x4C, 0x10)
                Field (HDAR, WordAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
                {
                    DCKA,   1, 
                    Offset (0x01), 
                    DCKM,   1, 
                        ,   6, 
                    DCKS,   1, 
                    Offset (0x08), 
                        ,   15, 
                    PMES,   1
                }
                Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
                {
                    \RMDT.PUSH("Entering HDEF._PRW")
                    Return (GPRW (0x0D, 0x04))
                }
                /////////////////////////////
                // FIX - FOR AppleHDA.kext //
                // METHOD _DSM ADDED       //
                /////////////////////////////
                Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                {
                    Store (Package (0x06)
                        {
                            "layout-id", 
                            Buffer (0x04)
                            {
                                0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                            }, 
                            "codec-id", 
                            Buffer (0x04)
                            {
                                 "283902569"
                            }, 
                           /* "hda-gfx",
				Buffer (0x0A)
				{
					"onboard-1"
				},*/
                            "PinConfigurations", 
                            Buffer (Zero) {}
                        }, Local0)
                    DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                    Return (Local0)
                }
            }

Enjoy! attachicon.gifAppleHDA.kext.zip

For those that wonder why I did not use VoodooHDA.kext, it's because VoodooHDA can not properly iterate the PathMaps in System profiler. 

It finds them but it can not display them all. So you ether get Speakers or Mic's but not both. It also lists in System Profiler an unused SPDIF port.

Update, There is this weird intermittent audio buzz that can be reset by adjusting the SoundFlower buffer size.  

I'll have to find the solution.

I found the bug. It's SoundFlower. IT craps out when watching Flash video. 

I'll be coding a simple slider to manage the Multi-output Device audio. Something Apple should have done!!!!! Thank you Apple for recycling PC programmers!

I fixed everything with the kext provided in the first post! Everything works except the audio and other things like sleep, wake, backlights and other things related to the DSDT file.

I could not use the DSDT file provided in the first post because it makes me crash the system. To fix the sound I would like to understand how do I patch my DSDT with lines of code that I quote here.

I trust in your help

I've just added the fix'ed AMD 5870m driver. 

See bottom of main post.

Hey guys, just wondering what, if anything, has to be changed from your project here to make it work on a G73Jw. I understand that basically the only difference between mine and the Jh is that I have the NVIDIA 460M graphics card. Additionally, I've managed to get Mavericks installed, but it doesn't boot without my eye-boot drive, I have this awful klaxon-like noise from the speakers when I boot (guessing that's from the mic & speakers always being on? Managed to stop that by keeping my headphones plugged in), none of my USB 3.0 ports work, my keyboard's backlight/Fn functions don't work, and probably a bunch of other issues that I haven't come across yet, because I just got finished installing OS X.

New to the Hackintosh scene, so any assistance is greatly appreciated.

The fixes are most likely the same for your laptop except for your graphic. I will not be abel to help you. 

A hackintosh is not for the faint of heart. You will need to roll up your sleeves and hack your way to success. All the heavy work is done for this laptop. 

All your problems are fixable by patching your DSDT. Download the files and the open my dsdt.dsl. All my notes/fixes are in there you just have to apply them to your DSDT. 

Good luck!

I fixed everything with the kext provided in the first post! Everything works except the audio and other things like sleep, wake, backlights and other things related to the DSDT file.
I could not use the DSDT file provided in the first post because it makes me crash the system. To fix the sound I would like to understand how do I patch my DSDT with lines of code that I quote here.

I trust in your help

All your problems are fixable by patching your DSDT. Download the files and the open my dsdt.dsl. All my notes/fixes are in there you just have to apply them to your DSDT.

Good luck!

I found the bug. It's SoundFlower. IT craps out when watching Flash video. 

:drool: For now  I can adjust sound from iTunes player volume  slider .works  good 

did you  code a simple slider for volume change ?

No not yet. But for sure I'll be doing it to get rid of SoundFlower. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey Kuebeker,

hope your summers going well,I reinstalled  back to 10.9.2 It seems stable but not sure why my keyboard will not illuminate after  wake from sleep ,it worked perfectly 10.9.1 

not sure if it's the  "AMD5000" kext or what ,can't seem to zero in on it ...freaking Apple  pisses me off ,Audio works fine,system is  pretty stable ,just that  side effect from sleep is bugging me i have to restart to get my keys to light up again ,I also removed "ACPIDebug.kext" not sure if this was needed thought it may be  reason  keys won't turn on after wake ,hmmm 

~cheers :moil:

• 2 weeks later...

update ...seems the "AppleACPIPlatform.kext" gets new instructions during 10.9.2 and breaks your hard work on the  Audio native  kext you work so hard on ...hmmm

agin ..A...apple {censored}...109.2 breaks  keyboard illumination after wake from sleep ,adding the  original  "AppleACPIPlatform.kext" brings back the  keys iluminated back from sleep .but breaks the  

audio using "KUEBEKER "patched  AppleHDA.kext...Now we are @ 10.9.4 seems there is no way to update without  apple pukes...i'm rock solid @10.9.2

patching kexts is not my gig,using voodoo audio .

seems this thread is dead  sad  but true  

• 5 weeks later...

:wink_anim: @ peterpanh4x

here is all you need to have a solid install 

http://www.filedropper.com/drone4zone

enjoy

Hey! Thanks a lot man! Do you recommend this configuration for 10.9.2?

Edit: Nevermind. I just read the instructions inside. (To anyone reading: yes, it's meant for 10.9.2)

Thanks again ;-)

Mine is a G73JH-A1 by the way, but I replaced the original wireless card with an Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200; I doubt it will work. I do hope the Ethernet adapter works, though. I'll tell you how the installation goes!

@drone4zone

I am now using your kexts and almost everything seems to be working great, except:

- Audio: It does work. However, the subwoofer doesn't seem to be in use and the volume output is always the same, no matter what volume percentage I choose. The sound is also a bit too low. For some reason, two audio devices named "Speaker (ATAPI)" show up in my settings and only one of them does partially work, like I said.

- Bluetooth: the computer is discoverable and detects other devices but I'm unable to connect to them and vice-versa. Also, I'm not sure how to enable/disable Bluetooth, since the option to do so is grayed out but apparently it does sometimes turn on/off with the Fn+F2 hotkey.

(Wi-Fi doesn't work either but that's because my wireless card is not compatible. Ethernet does work just fine, though!)

I have two questions, I hope you can help me:

Am I supposed to install Kuebeker's kext pack before installing yours (and if so, should I also install it using Kext Utility or just by copying them to the Extensions folder)?

Should I delete any original kexts from the clean install before installing your kexts? (i.e. AppleHDA.kext and others which might be causing problems)

Thank you. ;-)

@peterpanh4x

If you  have  Asus G73JH laptop  your hardware should work,wifi,bluetooth Audio,Video,DVD, Kuebeker Has done a pretty good job to figure out  a lot of issues we have been stuck,such as audio  and Video, my Laptop  does not have bluetooth option,I could  get it off ebay,it also came with the lower res screen,I swapped my 1600x to the  1080i Led  to get max res,I have the "Best buy" version G73JH,which kinda sucks no BlueRay extra,stuff to make theLaptop affordable...with that said know your hardware and then you can figure out what needs to be patched and,or what kexts  version you will need,

As I mentioned  with  my kext pack you need to use Kext utility to install  all your kexts into system/Library/Extensions folder  or  S/L/E for short. follow the instructions for audio  if you use  Kuebekers  patched  "AppleHDA" You need to get "soundFlower" to create a dual audio channel  for the 2.1 sub audio to work it's not 100% but it's  better than most patches available ,I use voodoo  and a usb audio  connected to  high  studio monitors.You should do reformat your Hard drive  a clean install and  add your kexts with kext utility  so they are installed into S/L/E, my kexts are the same as Kuebeker,except for the voodooHDA,

use Disk Utility to fix your permissions  after and reboot ,then you can work from  a solid start.