Resize current OSX partition question?

LarryM.net

6 posts in this topic

First off, I had XP installed on a 200gb hard drive, used Partition Magic to make a second partition of 10gb. I installed OSX on it fine.

I've had it for over a month now, and realized I should of made the partition a little bigger. Is there anyway to resize the OSX partition to take up some of the free space left on the XP partition, without reformatting and starting all over?

Here are some of the things I tried, in OSX Disk Utility, I selected the HD and tried to move the slider to adjust the space, but doesn't work.

I could try to do it with Partition Magic again, but I can only do that in XP and it may mess up the current install of OSX.

-Larry

Yeah, I figured thats what it would come down to... and I guess its not that bad, because I already keep all my stuff backed up on my iPod.

What is confusing me though... When I installed OSX it set up the GRUB bootloader for me, to pick from XP or OSX. If I format OSX partition, or delete it, will it effect my XP partition with booting up?

Once I make the new partition of size I want, and install the new OSX, will I have two bootloaders at start up? How does it know to delete or disable one from the other.

When I installed OSX it set up the GRUB bootloader for me, to pick from XP or OSX. If I format OSX partition, or delete it, will it effect my XP partition with booting up?

Once I make the new partition of size I want, and install the new OSX, will I have two bootloaders at start up? How does it know to delete or disable one from the other.

OSX installs the Darwin bootloader. GRUB is a Linux bootloader.

As long as you don't accidentally erase your Windows partition, it won't affect it.

The bootloader is on the partition with the OS. When you set a partition "active", BIOS goes to the active partition and discovers the available bootloader. If you erase OSX, expand the partition and then install OSX, the bootloader gets erased and then reinstalled. And BIOS will use that bootloader as long as you set the new OSX partition active.

Thanks, I knew it was the Darwin bootloader, I dont know why I said GRUB.

Anyway... what if you accedently created the OSX partition to write "before" XP's partition? (I did so), instead of "after". If I delete the OSX partition will the other partition know what to do?

If you dont know what I mean, in Partition Magic, it gave me an option when making the second partition to select where I wanted it. (on the drive before the current partition, and move the existing data up, or behind the partition and keep everything the same and just make a second partition after XP partition)

I dont know if by default it does this with the darwin bootloader, but by me making it "before" my computer boots strait into OSX if I allow the timer to count down or dont touch anything at start up. Even though XP was installed first.

Thanks.

(sorry if it seems like im just rambling... im just trying to learn as i go)