GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD5 TH LGA1150 - Noob Xmas Hackintosh Build Discussion

WallbrownF

3 posts in this topic

I like to discuss with wise individuals before I purchase and/or build anything.

Background: This would be for my wife. She is a budding professional photographer (thinking about getting her a Canon EOS 650D, as well; she is currently using the Canon EOS 450D). She is currently on a May 2011 21.5" iMac Apple (MC309LL/A). With this said, she is mostly on Photoshop and Lightroom, but she likes to do some movie stuff too...

Budget: College Kid, but pretty cool job, so kind of cheap, but kind of flexible, if that makes sense.

Here is what I was thinking...

CPU:   Intel Core i7-4770K Quad-Core Desktop Processor 3.5 GHZ 8 MB Cache BX80646I74770K

RAM:  Hynix 32gb (4x8gb) DDR3 ECC Server Memory HMT31GR7CFR4A-PB PC3L-12800R 1600 MHz

GPU:  GIGABYTE GV-N760OC-4GD GeForce GTX 760 4GB 256-bit GDDR5

HDD:  Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200 RPM (ST3000DM001)

MB:    GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD5 TH LGA1150

LCD:  CROSSOVER 27QW LED 27" LG AH-IPS Panel 2560X1440

PSU:  Corsair Professional Series (AX860) 860w ATX/EPS Modular 80+ (Platinum)

Case: ???

Missing Items: Optical Drive (I'm thinking BluRay Burner here), (optional) All-In-One Card reader (never know what new camera she will get in the future).

My after-the-fact thought process (or perhaps guesstimation of) each item:

CPU:      Fastest CPU that is still fully compatible with OSX (the price range was reasonable as well)

RAM:      Cheapest (4x8GB) 32GB set I could find (I haven't had any problems with RAM that I know of in the past, I suspect this might spark some debate, and I hope it does)

GPU:      Cheapest 4K ready GPU I could find (same as RAM comment here)

HDD:      Cheapest (per GB) 7200RPM HDD I could find (same as RAM comment here)

MB:        Thunderbolt, WiFi (just in case, plan on wired connection, though, but we will be moving around some in the future, so just planning ahead), solid...

Monitor: Cheapest 4K (you get the drill)

PSU:      Good, stable PSU (went to a PSU calculator to estimate power consumption, but I put some possible future stuff in the calculation, as well)

Case:     I don't know what to do about the case yet, but I'm thinking small and compact.

I look forward to a discussion about this as a possible Christmas present for my wife, any thoughts suggestions are welcome! If I forgot something...

Edited by WallbrownF
remove tonycrap link

please read the rules,

Thanks!!!

For all those who don't yet know our position about tonymac, and your [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] software, your Forun, Tolls, links, thank you for reading  http://www.insanelym...ort-tonymacx86/   

p.s : pls read the forum rules  !!! 

InsanelyMac doesn't support tonymac's tools.   

• Like 1

If I am to be honest with you, I only skimmed the rules (mostly reading the bold lettering) because I've read a few in my day and I thought it was pretty self evident. So, I'm sorry that I posted a link to TonyMac. I was unaware that he was a "commercial spin-offs of the OSx86 scene." If I am to be honest, I still don't understand that, but I'll read the first link you gave and probably understand more. Can I re-edit my post and put it back up?

Edit1: I get it now...C'est la vie!

Upon further research...I now realize that my proposed specs may not be the most stable...downright unstable even. I'm a PC guy, so I'm definitely an idiot here...I guess back to reading...

Edit2: I guess no one is answering me because they think I should be in "Hardware Components and Drivers" section? Depending on how you look at it that could definitely be more relevant. Can I move my post there easily? I don't see a way... Should I delete this one and move it there? I still don't know if I should use Maverick...most support seems to be with Snow Leopard (10.6). At least my limited research suggests that...