Cannot boot to OS X (on partitioned HDD)

skyrocketing

3 posts in this topic

My current set up is a 120 GB SSD with Windows 8.1 on it and a 2 TB hard drive with two partitions. One partition is NTFS with other files that I use on Windows. The other partition is HFS+ with my Mac installation. Whenever I try to boot from the 2 TB partition drive, it doesn't boot to OS X and defaults to my Windows installation. I know my BIOS settings are correct. Is this setup of partitions on the drive causing the BIOS not to boot from the HFS+ partition? I've been using OS X for about a week but have had to rely on using the USB installer for the bootloader to boot into OS X. I wiped that USB installer and now I am completely cut off of OS X. I guess this can serve as a question as to how I can properly set up a dual-boot. Here's my specs:

120 GB SSD (NFTS): Windows 8.1, programs

2 TB HDD (partition 1): NFTS format, music files, etc

(partition 2): HFS+ format, Mac OS 10.9

GA-Z87X-UD4H

GTX 770

i5-4670k

8 GB RAM

Well, you don't tell us anything about how and what you did to install OSX to its partition.

One thing I would try it to download the bootable ISO version of the Clover bootloader.  Burn it to a CD or install it to a USB flash drive.  Use it to boot your OSX installation and then install a bootloader to your OSX installation, either Chameleon or Clover.

The bootable Clover ISO can be found here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/files/Bootable_ISO/

2236 is known to work, 2283 is newer and not as well proven to work.

Chameleon can be obtained by going to Downloads on top of the InsanelyMac forum page.

Well, you don't tell us anything about how and what you did to install OSX to its partition.

One thing I would try it to download the bootable ISO version of the Clover bootloader.  Burn it to a CD or install it to a USB flash drive.  Use it to boot your OSX installation and then install a bootloader to your OSX installation, either Chameleon or Clover.

The bootable Clover ISO can be found here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/files/Bootable_ISO/

2236 is known to work, 2283 is newer and not as well proven to work.

Chameleon can be obtained by going to Downloads on top of the InsanelyMac forum page.

Sorry about that. I followed the All-in-One guide on this forum to set up the USB drive. I then booted from that installer and used Disk Utility to erase the 2 TB drive and divide it into two partitions, one exFAT and the other HFS+ for the Mac installation. I later formatted the exFAT partition in Windows to NTFS. I then installed Mac OS X to the HFS+ partition. I'm pretty sure I have Chameleon installed on the HFS+ partition but I will try what you said. Thanks for the reply!

EDIT: So I got my USB set up with the Clover bootloader and can boot into that fine, but when I chose to boot into Mac OS X, I hit some errors/panics. I think the boot config that exists on the actual install has the correct flags/settings, is there any way I can access that?