DVD Writer Problem

crises

7 posts in this topic

my OSx86 box has a problem with the DVD becoming stuck. ;) it seems to happen every few inserts.

when this happens nothing will eject it. im using an apple bluetooth keyboard with an eject button but it seems pretty random. its like the ATA kernel driver is becoming stuck because anything that tries to use the DVD will then hang.

i built this box specific for osx with a GMA900 and grantsdale chipset and so far its been great apart from this one problem it all works - bluetooth, opengl, Rosetta with SSE3, ethernet - the works.

I was gonna buy a mac mini but for the same price the spec an OSx86 box is so much better.. ive even registered some powerpc apps - the unison binary usenet grabber for OSX blows away anything i've ever seen on windows - wow. :(

Heres my spec:

MainBoard: Asus P5GD1-VM

CPU: P4 3.0ghz LGA775 with SSE3 and EM64T

Mem: PC3200 DDR Twinx (800 fsb)

HD: 160gb SATA

DVD: PATA NEC ND1300A

This message appears in system.log when the DVD locks:

kernel[0]: AppleIntelPIIXPATA: rejected command with zero PRD count (0x0 bytes)

Help!!

crises

You can either use the icon and control-click "Eject", or in Finder menu File -> Eject or in Terminal use disktool -e or diskutil eject

thanks for the advice, unfortunately when this locks its some form of kernel module problem so none of the methods you describe will be of any use. i'm probley gonna try a PATA to SATA converter, see if moving to the SATA bus helps

I remember tsome hints long time ago in MacOSXHints site: Another route to eject stubborn stuck CDs and Use disktool and System Profiler to eject stubborn CDROM discs where are some more ideas to eject a CD/DVD

well a SATA converter was useless so i swapped the NEC drive with my XP machines Sony Dual Layer DVDr and OSX is once again happy. very weird but at least its working now. it seems my XP box is growing ever smaller :huh:

OT: I take it you've never tried NewsLeecher on Windows?

Not tried that one but unison/osx has won me over, prefer to keep all the downloading to x86 OSX box now anyhows - keep the pc free for games. The problem i find with windows is loading massive newsgoup lists. windows XP will start to fail to malloc at about 1.7gb with 1gb of physical memory plus it will become very sluggish.

i have loaded a 16million article list into unison, the OS is using 9gb of swap but everything just keeps going fine. again with 1gb of real memory. im not being an OSX fanboy here its just my experience of trying to load huge group lists from servers such as giganews.