[Guide] OSX Mavericks 10.9 on MSI Haswell GT70-2oD, GT60-2oD, GT60 2oc Barebone GT70, Barebone GT60 [Updated August 2014]

slayer2333

84 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, and I need help installing mavericks on my GT72 2PE Dominator Pro. I checked the specs of this laptop to the GT70, and they're very similar, so I think Mavericks should run. Here are the specs: http://usgaming.msi.com/Product/2014/Notebook/GT72-Dominator-Pro/

I've tried to install Mavericks 10.9.4, I created the bootable USB with Clover, but I keep getting this error: image.png

So I just wanted to know which version of Mavericks did you use to install? Maybe that would help me boot. I've tried -f, -x, KernelPm=true. I also tried patching mach_kernel using Rehabmans post, (I checked the md5 to make sure it worked) but I still got stuck at the same place.

Right now I think the problem is either because I used 10.9.4 instead of an earlier version, or my config.plist (I used a standard one from a tonymacx86 clover guide). Can someone with a GT70 or GT72 send me their config.plist so I can try it out?

One last question: Do I need to worry about DSDT when installing? Or is that just a post installation thing?

Thanks in advance for the help!

I need to know a few more things..

Can yo usend me ioreg with hdmi connected,

witch clover version are you using

can you tell me with dsdt patched u used, i cant boot dsdt without nv_disable=1 as boot arg in clover.plist. It reboots back to clover

when i dont use dsdt it does boot but hdmi is blinking on and off

Did you have to patch nividia in ssdt or dsdt or with the use of kext?

and how it youre nvidia card named in about my mac?

+ send my youre bios detials and settings please

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, and I need help installing mavericks on my GT72 2PE Dominator Pro. I checked the specs of this laptop to the GT70, and they're very similar, so I think Mavericks should run. Here are the specs: http://usgaming.msi.com/Product/2014/Notebook/GT72-Dominator-Pro/

I've tried to install Mavericks 10.9.4, I created the bootable USB with Clover, but I keep getting this error: image.png

So I just wanted to know which version of Mavericks did you use to install? Maybe that would help me boot. I've tried -f, -x, KernelPm=true. I also tried patching mach_kernel using Rehabmans post, (I checked the md5 to make sure it worked) but I still got stuck at the same place.

Right now I think the problem is either because I used 10.9.4 instead of an earlier version, or my config.plist (I used a standard one from a tonymacx86 clover guide). Can someone with a GT70 or GT72 send me their config.plist so I can try it out?

One last question: Do I need to worry about DSDT when installing? Or is that just a post installation thing?

Hi! Try this over here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/293574-beginners-guide-to-uefi-tripledual-boot-os-x-windows-and-linux-kali-on-an-single-true-gpt-ssd/

@SLAYER, you might wanne remove all youre driver64eufi files and use this instead, wil really improve youre boot and if im correct it doesnt inflect thing you need. Try it an post result please backup old one first,

yet another qestion, do you still use 10.9.1 kext for intel? im using 10.9.4 vanilla works great with clover

driver64uefi.zip

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, and I need help installing mavericks on my GT72 2PE Dominator Pro. I checked the specs of this laptop to the GT70, and they're very similar, so I think Mavericks should run. Here are the specs: http://usgaming.msi.com/Product/2014/Notebook/GT72-Dominator-Pro/

I've tried to install Mavericks 10.9.4, I created the bootable USB with Clover, but I keep getting this error:

Use 10.9.1 or 10.9.0 to make the installation, our laptop won't boot in 10.9.2 and newer unless you replace the graphic kexts (Intel and Nvidia) with the ones from 10.9.1. Since you could get that far in the boot process this problem has nothing to do with mach_kernel, it is a graphic problem.

Just make sure that you have in your config.plist:

<key>Graphics</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Inject</key>
		<dict>
			<key>ATI</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Intel</key>
			<true/>
			<key>NVidia</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
		<key>ig-platform-id</key>
		<string>0x0a260005</string>
	</dict>

As for the DSDT, it will be only used for post install, no need to worry about that when making the install.

I need to know a few more things..

Can yo usend me ioreg with hdmi connected,

witch clover version are you using

can you tell me with dsdt patched u used, i cant boot dsdt without nv_disable=1 as boot arg in clover.plist. It reboots back to clover

when i dont use dsdt it does boot but hdmi is blinking on and off

Did you have to patch nividia in ssdt or dsdt or with the use of kext?

and how it youre nvidia card named in about my mac?

+ send my youre bios detials and settings please

Here's my ioreg with HDMI connected MacBook Pro.zip

Maybe your Nvidia Card is not natively handled by OSX, whereas my Nvidia 780m GTX is natively recognized.

I am using clover 2830 (latest at this time).

I didn't use any patches for my NVIDIA except for HDMI audio, nothing to do with Graphic Injection.

You may want to consider this to inject your nvidia graphic card, modify it according to your hardware (ex. Vram, Card name,...etc).

Nothing particular in my Bios options except what is stated in my OP.

@SLAYER, you might wanne remove all youre driver64eufi files and use this instead, wil really improve youre boot and if im correct it doesnt inflect thing you need. Try it an post result please backup old one first,

yet another qestion, do you still use 10.9.1 kext for intel? im using 10.9.4 vanilla works great with clover

Initially, these were the files that i used for EFI, but for some reason my Bios won't store UEFI variables (such as sleep settings, brightness level...) that's why i added EmuVariableUefi-64.efi. I also use FSInject-64.efi because i inject FakeSMC.kext on the fly with Yosemite.

For me and many other laptop users there are graphic problems with the mobile Intel HD4600 starting from 10.9.2, but if it works well in your hardware you are a lucky dude ;).

• Like 1

I do think that indeed cause its not natively supported, anyway thanks for youre ioreg with hdmi, i will look at that. I not sure if we get hdmi working now. Btw instead of fsinjuect you can use hfspus i believe faster loading

Hi, the last thing i need to fix is my hdmi,
let me try to explain...

If i boot with dsdt (included in attach). Then it only boots with the boot argh nv_disable=1, without the boot arg is just goes back to the clover bootloader. I i do boot with nv_disable=1 my hdmi get no signal cause my nvidia optimus is the one thats controlling hdmi.

but.

If i boot without a dsdt. I can boot without using nv_disable=1. using the same platform id, it does boot, i also does load nvidia hdmi but its blinking. Aslo brightness doesnt work with AppleBackLight.kext in 10.9 folder on efi, is it needit to install it to sle?, anayway thats not the problem now, this is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9TP...l9MVbfwIA7Nbbw

Anyway this is strange im stuck and i dont know what to do now.
Also im still wondering why it doesnt boot with dsdt without nv_disable=1

I tried al available platform ids:

04060000 no screen, no hdmi so no brightness
04120004 no screen, no hdmi so no brightness
04160000 no screen, no hdmi so no brightness
04160002 no screen, no hdmi so no brightness
04260000 no screen, no hdmi so no brightness

notebook id’s in clover
0A260005 screen works, hdmi flicker, no brightness (didnt try with dsdt. nv_disable=1)
0A260008 screen works, hdmi flicker, no brightness (didnt try with dsdt. nv_disable=1)
0A260006 screen works, hdmi flicker, no brightness! (only brightness with dsdt, nv_disable=1)
0A2E0008 screen works, hdmi flicker, no brightness (didnt try with dsdt. nv_disable=1)
0A260000 screen works, hdmi flicker, no brightness (didnt try with dsdt. nv_disable=1)
0A160000 screen works, hdmi flicker, no brightness (didnt try with dsdt. nv_disable=1)

desktop id’s in clover
0C060000 screen works, hdmi flicker, no brightness
0C160000 screen works, hdmi flicker, no brightness
0C260000 screen works, hdmi flicker, no brightness
0D220003 screen works, hdmi flicker, no brightness
0D260000 screen works, hdmi flicker, no brightness
0D260007 screen works, hdmi flicker, no brightness

Renamed the dsdt to dsdtold otherwise it doesnt boot

im lost

currently im using platform id 0A260006 i have a ioreg attached booting with hdmi (when i have blinking screen)

paperclip.png Attached Files (also nvididumps beloew from windows)

I do think that indeed cause its not natively supported, anyway thanks for youre ioreg with hdmi, i will look at that. I not sure if we get hdmi working now. Btw instead of fsinjuect you can use hfspus i believe faster loading

Hi, the last thing i need to fix is my hdmi,

let me try to explain...

If i boot with dsdt (included in attach). Then it only boots with the boot argh nv_disable=1, without the boot arg is just goes back to the clover bootloader. I i do boot with nv_disable=1 my hdmi get no signal cause my nvidia optimus is the one thats controlling hdmi.

but.

If i boot without a dsdt. I can boot without using nv_disable=1. using the same platform id, it does boot, i also does load nvidia hdmi but its blinking. Aslo brightness doesnt work with AppleBackLight.kext in 10.9 folder on efi, is it needit to install it to sle?, anayway thats not the problem now, this is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9TP...l9MVbfwIA7Nbbw

Anyway this is strange im stuck and i dont know what to do now.

Also im still wondering why it doesnt boot with dsdt without nv_disable=1

I tried al available platform ids:

04060000 no screen, no hdmi so no brightness

04120004 no screen, no hdmi so no brightness

04160000 no screen, no hdmi so no brightness

04160002 no screen, no hdmi so no brightness

04260000 no screen, no hdmi so no brightness

notebook id’s in clover

0A260005 screen works, hdmi flicker, no brightness (didnt try with dsdt. nv_disable=1)

0A260008 screen works, hdmi flicker, no brightness (didnt try with dsdt. nv_disable=1)

0A260006 screen works, hdmi flicker, no brightness! (only brightness with dsdt, nv_disable=1)

0A2E0008 screen works, hdmi flicker, no brightness (didnt try with dsdt. nv_disable=1)

0A260000 screen works, hdmi flicker, no brightness (didnt try with dsdt. nv_disable=1)

0A160000 screen works, hdmi flicker, no brightness (didnt try with dsdt. nv_disable=1)

desktop id’s in clover

0C060000 screen works, hdmi flicker, no brightness

0C160000 screen works, hdmi flicker, no brightness

0C260000 screen works, hdmi flicker, no brightness

0D220003 screen works, hdmi flicker, no brightness

0D260000 screen works, hdmi flicker, no brightness

0D260007 screen works, hdmi flicker, no brightness

Renamed the dsdt to dsdtold otherwise it doesnt boot

im lost

currently im using platform id 0A260006 i have a ioreg attached booting with hdmi (when i have blinking screen)

paperclip.png Attached Files

Lol you can use this video as part of the next GRUDGE horror movie :D . Well, first the AppleBacklight kext must be in S/L/E.

Secondly, can you please send me your vanilla DSDT.dsl as extracted, i will look into it and try to fix your problems.

Your Ioreg confirms that the graphic card is not handled natively, it says Model <"NVIDIA N15E-GT">.

Nvidia HDMI Blinking/Flickering + Audio

First we hade this problem:
https://www.youtube.....l9MVbfwIA7Nbbw

So we installed nvidia web drivers, enabled nvda_drv=1 in clover config.plst.

Now, today we patched alot in dsdt an ssdt and debugged alot aswell, its much better but sometimes it blinks 1 or twice in a minute. Seems like this has something to do with power supply drivers. We are debugging this later, cause we were thinking. If we patch audio for hdmi, maybe it will not blink anymore cause it then use more power on the cable.

The problem were facing now is that for audio we find out that in dsdt the screen type connecter use the same as the audio

This is the method i have in DSDT: The Return Line has IGPU, i need that for my display to work.

(_DSM, 4, Serialized)
        {
            CreateByteField (Arg0, 0x03, GUID)
            Return (\_SB.PCI0.IGPU.HDSM (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3))
        }

We need to set connector type to 8 in Nvidia GPU _DSM method, will try this tomorrow.

This is what we saw so far in out tests

Lol you can use this video as part of the next GRUDGE horror movie :D . Well, first the AppleBacklight kext must be in S/L/E.

Secondly, can you please send me your vanilla DSDT.dsl as extracted, i will look into it and try to fix your problems.

Your Ioreg confirms that the graphic card is not handled natively, it says Model <"NVIDIA N15E-GT">.

We fixed that today, also some little improvement on audio, progress in working,

here my latest dsdt ioreg etc...

For what are you using old kext again? for intel or nvidia hdmi?

Use 10.9.1 or 10.9.0 to make the installation, our laptop won't boot in 10.9.2 and newer unless you replace the graphic kexts (Intel and Nvidia) with the ones from 10.9.1. Since you could get that far in the boot process this problem has nothing to do with mach_kernel, it is a graphic problem.

Just make sure that you have in your config.plist:

<key>Graphics</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Inject</key>
		<dict>
			<key>ATI</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Intel</key>
			<true/>
			<key>NVidia</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
		<key>ig-platform-id</key>
		<string>0x0a260005</string>
	</dict>
As for the DSDT, it will be only used for post install, no need to worry about that when making the install.

You are a GOD sent from heaven. I got past that problem but then my screen would turn black, as in completely OFF. I thought maybe I was at the boot screen but my screen wasn't displaying it. Then after some digging I found out I needed to use "nv_disable=1" and it worked!!! Just out of curiosity, what does that bootflag do? I think it's something to do with nvidia.

This boot flag is to disable the nvidia card, when having an optimus configuration both the Nvidia and intel are working at the same time but since your nvidia is not recognized it gives a blackscreen. You may consider to install the nvidia web drivers once you update to 10.9.4, usually they cover most graphic cards.

• Like 1

I've been able to install 10.9.0 on my GT72 (I'll worry about updating later). Does anyone know how to get Intel HD 4600 working? Right now I'm booting with these flags:

-v -dart=0 nv_disable=1

Also, sound isn't working, I tried the AppleHDA.kext and the patch for sleep as well. Bear in mind I haven't used DSDT, I don't know how to do it. I would've used the one in the guide but people keep saying don't use someone else's DSDT unless you have the exact same model.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

• 1 month later...

Why I can't to use The MSI Forum HQ USB Flashing Tool ?

The Tool let me request a custom BIOS ?

How do you use the Tool ?

That's the tool i'm pointing to in my opening post, to specify a different bios image to flash just use

AFUDE238 TheNameOfYourBiosRom

That's the tool i'm pointing to in my opening post, to specify a different bios image to flash just use

AFUDE238 TheNameOfYourBiosRom

I am msi notebook too , so I think I can use the tool . But I don't know how to used that , and my tool is newer than the tutorials' tool , did't have the Mode 2 .

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'm stuck. I have the MSI GT60 2oc and I created the installer just like you said but cannot get to the installer on the machine. I am trying to use 10.9.2 and from what I've read you have to replace the NVIDIA and Intel HD kexts with those from 10.9.1 in order for it to work but I cannot find anywhere to download them. I also am running into the IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87 error. Not sure what I'm doing wrong...

Edit: I FINALLY got mavericks installed but I cannot boot from the drive. I have installed clover but if I select the drive it just instantly reboots. If I boot from my usb, however, everything is fine. Did I miss something?

Edit: Ok I patched my kernel and finally got it working! But neither Thunderbolt or hdmi are working. Is hdmi controlled by the nvidia driver? I was a little scared to install it because I know the card itself doesn't work.... I'm using the GT60 2oc by the way.

Ok, I'm stuck. I have the MSI GT60 2oc and I created the installer just like you said but cannot get to the installer on the machine. I am trying to use 10.9.2 and from what I've read you have to replace the NVIDIA and Intel HD kexts with those from 10.9.1 in order for it to work but I cannot find anywhere to download them. I also am running into the IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87 error. Not sure what I'm doing wrong...

Edit: I FINALLY got mavericks installed but I cannot boot from the drive. I have installed clover but if I select the drive it just instantly reboots. If I boot from my usb, however, everything is fine. Did I miss something?

Edit: Ok I patched my kernel and finally got it working! But neither Thunderbolt or hdmi are working. Is hdmi controlled by the nvidia driver? I was a little scared to install it because I know the card itself doesn't work.... I'm using the GT60 2oc by the way.

Hi,

The HDMI video out is handeled by the nvidia Card, i you use the nvidia kexts from 10.9.1 it will work properly to display on an external display.  As for the Thunderbolt, in fact it is a mini display port, there is no Thunderbolt on the MSI laptops so far, i think that this one is handled by Nvidia card as well.

I believe I am running into the same problem as ZHuangJW. I am currently attempting to install onto an MSI GT60 - 2OD and I was able to successfully patch the bios, which I downloaded from the MSI website, using the UEFIPatching utility from the provided thread. I tried to use the MSIHQ USB Bootable Tool, but unfortunately it seems that it may have been updated and no longer allows a user to select a bios file directly. I was able to find a guide created by MSI to manually create a bootable USB to get into DOS mode, but I had no success there either. As per the guide provided by MSI, when I entered DOS mode, I was instructed to type, "flash" once I had navigated to where all of the files had been stored on the USB, but this didn't work because my BIOS file didn't contain a flash file to execute. Next, I downloaded an MSI bios file that did contain the flash file, but that did not work either because the program automatically input the name of previous BIOS it was intended for. This did provide me with the necessary commands to run a another file from the previous BIOS file, similar to the AFUDE238 command but I can't remember its exact name. Either way it successfully read in the BIOS file but did not successfully flash it due to errors, which I assume occurred because I was using a flash tool not specifically for my BIOS file.

I have tried a variety of other things to flash my patched BIOS, but none have been successful. Can someone explain what I am doing wrong or if there is another way to go about this?

I am msi notebook too , so I think I can use the tool . But I don't know how to used that , and my tool is newer than the tutorials' tool , did't have the Mode 2 .

I believe I am running into the same problem as ZHuangJW. I am currently attempting to install onto an MSI GT60 - 2OD and I was able to successfully patch the bios, which I downloaded from the MSI website, using the UEFIPatching utility from the provided thread. I tried to use the MSIHQ USB Bootable Tool, but unfortunately it seems that it may have been updated and no longer allows a user to select a bios file directly. I was able to find a guide created by MSI to manually create a bootable USB to get into DOS mode, but I had no success there either. As per the guide provided by MSI, when I entered DOS mode, I was instructed to type, "flash" once I had navigated to where all of the files had been stored on the USB, but this didn't work because my BIOS file didn't contain a flash file to execute. Next, I downloaded an MSI bios file that did contain the flash file, but that did not work either because the program automatically input the name of previous BIOS it was intended for. This did provide me with the necessary commands to run a another file from the previous BIOS file, similar to the AFUDE238 command but I can't remember its exact name. Either way it successfully read in the BIOS file but did not successfully flash it due to errors, which I assume occurred because I was using a flash tool not specifically for my BIOS file.

I have tried a variety of other things to flash my patched BIOS, but none have been successful. Can someone explain what I am doing wrong or if there is another way to go about this?

Guys, here's an alternative method to flash you bios, quite straightforward:

-Flash your desired Bios first (the original one, not the patched).

Then from Windows, in terminal:

1. backup your Bios: afuwinx64 bios.bin /o
  2. patch the backup Bios: pmpatch bios.bin bios-pmpatched.bin
  3. Flash the patched Bios : afuwinx64 bios-pmpatched.bin /gan

Hi,

The HDMI video out is handeled by the nvidia Card, i you use the nvidia kexts from 10.9.1 it will work properly to display on an external display.  As for the Thunderbolt, in fact it is a mini display port, there is no Thunderbolt on the MSI laptops so far, i think that this one is handled by Nvidia card as well.

Can you provide me with the nVidia kext from 10.9.1? I searched but could not find it. Also, I was trying to install the web driver but it said it was incompatible. Could that be cause by the SMBios.kext, if so, would changing it let me install them? I've heard of some users having success with their hdmi and such after installing the web driver, but if installing the kext just works, I'll do that.  :D

You get them by downloading the 10.9.1 combo update then extracting the nvidia kexts with pacifist.

In order to install the nvidia web drivers you will change your smbios to mac pro 3,1 or 4,1 i think.

Thank you so much for the help. I will see if that works.