Cannot Install

Shigun

10 posts in this topic

Ok, so i'm attempting to get OSX installed. I was going to do a dual boot, however that didnt work out. Right now i've got a completely empty HDD, but am getting the Apple logo and spinner, with a circle and line through it. Issuing the -v command comes up with a continue repeat of "Still waiting on root device"

Now, i've already unplugged all my USB devices, and disabled all I can in the BIOS, yet no luck. I'm running a DFI Lanparty Ultra-D with an Opty 165. Thoughts, help? Really wanting to try this out.

1) You need to get your hard drive and DVD drive on the same cable. Set the hard drive to master and the DVD drive to slave using jumpers, not cable select. Disconnect all other optical drives, USB drives, etc.

If you cannot get the DVD booted, you might want to investigate installing it using VMWare. Once you get it installed, you can run OSX without VMWare. But you need Windows to use VMWare.

2) If you are installing OSX by itself onto a hard drive, first format the entire hard drive as FAT32 to create the needed MBR partition scheme. The boot data goes into a tiny partition at the beginning of the drive, leaving a large partition for OSX. When you install OSX, the first step is to go to Disk Utility in the Utilities menu and format (erase) the hard drive. Be sure to select the large partition to format, not the whole hard drive or you will mess up the MBR partitioning scheme. In Disk Utility, the partition is shown below the hard drive.

1) You need to get your hard drive and DVD drive on the same cable. Set the hard drive to master and the DVD drive to slave using jumpers, not cable select. Disconnect all other optical drives, USB drives, etc.

Not possible, my HDD is Sata, my DVD is IDE

If you cannot get the DVD booted, you might want to investigate installing it using VMWare. Once you get it installed, you can run OSX without VMWare. But you need Windows to use VMWare.

Installing Win2k as we speak

2) If you are installing OSX by itself onto a hard drive, first format the entire hard drive as FAT32 to create the needed MBR partition scheme. The boot data goes into a tiny partition at the beginning of the drive, leaving a large partition for OSX. When you install OSX, the first step is to go to Disk Utility in the Utilities menu and format (erase) the hard drive. Be sure to select the large partition to format, not the whole hard drive or you will mess up the MBR partitioning scheme. In Disk Utility, the partition is shown below the hard drive.

What i'm wanting to do is have OSX as the primary, then do something like install Bootcamp and have it handle the Win portion. Possible?

SATA - OSX has limited SATA controller support. When you get into the installer, you might find that Disk Utility doesn't see it. If not, you will need to find a PATA drive.

BootCamp - can only be used on a real Mac. But you are using a PC and PC's use bootloaders to allow you to select different OS's to boot. OSX comes with one built in. So does Windows. Linux comes with Grub. Then there are commercial ones like Acronis.

I would really suggest installing Windows and then OSX. You can use this guide: http://www.profit42.com/index.php/2006/05/...ndows-computer/

The guide suggests using Acronis as the bootloader, but using Chain0 will allow you to use the Windows bootloader and following this: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=201555 will allow you to use the OSX bootloader

Even if you manage to get nForce4 SATA to work (which only a few people have done successfully), it usually has data corruption on writes.

Yes, I had seen that as well. So apparently, i'm looking at about a day spent, with only resulting in wiping out my current OS install. Not fun. I will try to keep up to date on this, however.

Quick thought. I have a USB 2.0 drive that I use for storage, it has quite a large amount of space left.

If it has previously been formatted for Windows, then yes it is usable, assuming OSX has no trouble with your USB ports and will boot the USB drive. Others have succeeded with it.

If it has previously been formatted for Windows, then yes it is usable, assuming OSX has no trouble with your USB ports and will boot the USB drive. Others have succeeded with it.

Its actually been formatted into EXT3, but there would be no issue with me popping in a Linux Live CD and resizing it, formatting the free space into Fat32. Would I be able install onto it with the standard VMWare install, and setup as if I were installing on a local drive?