Hi guys, I am creating this topic to discuss an idea I had about a way to force the Mac OS installer to not install using apfs.
So we know that apfs does not runs well on drives not made by apple because it's designed to run on apple firmware, so error correcting features will not work and this will cause data corruption and data lose over the long period of time, so some people will like more to not use apfs and avoid all that problems, but apple has integrated an ssd detection mechanism that will force to upgrade to apfs if an ssd is detected, so my idea is to create a kext that is loaded before the system initializes sata devices and then forces the system to detect all sata and nvme devices as hard drives, I think that is possible, but I do not know iokit so much well to do it, so I am creating this thread, to ask if it's possible to create something like that using io kit and other system libraries to create a kext the could work with clover kext injection and force the system to see all the ssd as hard drives, and also other idea for the kext is that it will enable itself to run only when you are booting into a Mac OS installer, maybe that could be also done using a clover kext to patch string directly on the sata family kext, so what do you think about my idea? is there someone that could help me to create the kext or a clover patch?
Thank you for checking out my thread, I hope that we will find a solution soon
PS: I know that there re things like scripts and commands to install without apfs, but my aim is to create a method that lets the users to tone perform any special task inside the Mac OS installer
This guide makes an installation of macOS 10.12 Sierra on a real MacPro3,1 or other unsupported Mac's or Hackintosh's possible!
Edit: Update for GM post #9
What we need for this:
Atom.app or Atom Beta.App
Flat Package Editor.app (from /Developer/Applications/Utilities/PackageMaker.app/Contents/Resources/)
Download Install 10.12 Developer Preview.app
(All files are intended for MacPro3,1, possibly you have a grudge here your BoardID)
USB flash drive creation ( 8GB / Created flash drive with the BaseSystem.dmg method! does not work with the createinstallmedia method! ):
1. Restore BaseSystem.dmg from the InstallShield Developer 10.12 Preview.app out of your Program Files folder with the disk utility on the USB flash drive
2. Delete the simlink packages under "/Volumes/USB/System/Installation/"
3. Copy the original package folder from the Install 10.12 Developer Preview.app to "/Volumes/USB/System/Installation/"
3.1 optional: install Clover (only for Hackintosh and this Method)
4. Replace the InstallableMachines.plist in /Volumes/USB/System/Installation/Packages/ with from Archiv1.zip
5. Replace the PlatformSupport.plist in /Volumes/USB/System/Library/Core Services/ with from Archiv1.zip
6. Copy the OSInstall.mpkg from /Volumes/USB/System/Installation/Packages/ to the desktop
7. Open this by right-clicking the Flat Package Editor
8. Delete the file "Distribution" and replace with file from Archiv1.zip
(Previously open possibly this file with Atom.app and edit your BoardID after)
9. Replace now the OSInstall.mpkg in /Volumes/USB/System/Installation/Packages/ with the file from the desktop
10. Now you can start, the Mac reboots with pinned Alt key and select your USB flash drive. Make here the installation on a free selected by you partition. The installation starts, then the computer reboots.
11. While it is booting Alt hold, so it will not boot into fresh Sierra. Instead, choose your example Capitan and ride high order.
12. Go here now in the Finder to the fresh Sierra HDD in /Volumes/Sierra/System/Library/Core Services/ and replacing there the file "PlatformSupport.plist" from the Archiv2.zip
13. That's it, do restart in the fresh Sierra and let the installation run through to the end.
Slice for the Clover Bootloader
Developers of Atom.app and Flat Package Editor.app
and all the others
Here is My MacMod of the Month, I started working on installing Snow Leopard On my unsupported Macbook Air 11' Mid 2011 which came with Lion and cant install Snow Leopard Normally. If you want Instructions Just ask and ill make them.....
-Note the Kernal Panics are fixed i just included them to show progress ....
Hello ! I have been anoyed with UNSUPPORTED SAFARI VERSION. So I have been putting together a few versions of "mildy" modified safari app.. 10.5/6/7/8 and I have mad a SAFARI uninstaller app.. These safari versions feature a very small internal MOD making them identify and act as Version 7.1 instead of 5 or 6.x.x or whatever, bypassing the BS.. Question: Am i allowed to post a DOWNLOAD link of my current / beta/final release to the forums here ?? Or should i keep this soley private ?? Thank you for any help )