How to compile 32-bit in Xcode 5 on Mavericks.

Alex009988

4 posts in this topic

Hi. I have some problem, I can't compile any 32-kext on the last Xcode. This is actual only for Lion and SL where it is needed. The problem with SDK is solving quite easy. Just to add SDK from previous version of Xcode. Seems that we should do something the same with compiler. But I don't  know what and where to add.

Here is an example when you're trying to make a kext with 32-bit Architecture.

clang: error: the clang compiler does not support 'fapple-kext' for C++ on Darwin/i386
Command /Applications/Xcode5-DP.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/clang failed with exit code 1

I think replacing "clang" from previous version of Xcode won't be a good idea

Seems we should add Apple LLVM 4.2

Where is Apple LLVM 5.0 located?. I couldn't find it here /Applications/Xcode5-DP.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/Library....

• Like 1

Hey Alex, it should be as simple as adding the SDK in first 

Screen%20Shot%202013-10-02%20at%208.19.4

Then proceeding to selecting your SDK of choice to build against 

Screen%20Shot%202013-10-02%20at%203.49.2

Lastly to make sure it's universal and you should be good to go because I've tested it on apps that were built for 32 bit already though I haven't tried with a kext I could try it out if it doesn't workout for you.  Of course this depends on how you've coded it because things get depreciated with next generation LLVM compilers and future SDKs so previous coding can make or break a build but I'm certain you know that.

Screen%20Shot%202013-10-02%20at%203.48.2

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Lastly to make sure it's universal 

Hello. Thank you for your answer and sorry for a delay.

With ML It worked  perfect even though I had small warnings working with SDKs from Snow Leopard. And universal kext had double size because it fitted  both x32 and x64. Moreover, I was be able to compile only for x32 as well.

But that's another story for Mavericks. The "universal" equals x64. And it has  stop-mistake for x32 architecture.