OSX wont boot from external USB HD

alexp

32 posts in this topic

I installed successfully OSX from the DVD to an internal ATA HD. Then, i placed this HD into an external usb+FW enclosure..i set the bios for booting from this drive (i have USB BOOT support)

The system boots (I see the grey screen with the apple logo) but after a few minutes it halts on the same screen but with a barred HD logo...

Can you help me?

- please make a photo of the entire lower portion (also the part on the right)

- please make it clearer so it is readable

- please make it smaller in pixel size so it fits the screen without having to be resized - resizing makes the photo worse to read

Looking at the boot screen I would approach this from a different angle since you know that you do have a bootable system:

I see you are also booting WinXP on your system, so you have access to the WinXP Bootloader. Here's what to do:

- in BIOS set back to boot from IDE

- boot Windows XP

- edit the file boot.ini on the root level of your HD (it is hidden so you must allow "show hidden files" in Windows). Under the line where it says something like "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="......" add a line C:\chain0="Mac OS x86"

- copy the file chain0 (download from here) to the root level of you internal HD (same level as the boot.ini)

- make sure "showing boot loader for xx seconds" is enabled in Windows and reboot

The Windows Bootloader should now have come up.

- pick "Mac OS x86" by scrolling down to it, hit Enter

_The darwin bootloader should have found your install on USB and display it's name

- if the Mac OS x86 partition on your external HS is not set to active you need to scroll down to the name of your Mac OS install and hit enter. If you have set no delay in the darwin bootfile (which is not advantageous) your Mac OS will have started by now anyway, and will hopefully boot through all the way

If you do not have another install on your internal HD (only the one on an external via USB) this is the way to go. With two inistalls, one on internal and one on external, Mac OS won't boot correctly from external but switch to booting the internal system at the beginning of the boot process.

Good luck.

Did DU not find your entire external drive? Or did it only not display the partitions on it correctly? Sounds like the first part - myaybe we are getting closer like this:

- restart your computer and enter into BIOS. Make sure anything related to USB is switched on (esp. Legacy support). Usually that is iin the "Advanced" section

- if the HD in your external case is an IDE HD make sure it is set on Master (SATA HDs do not have the Master/Slave switch)

- make sure your external casing with the HD has been on for >= 10 seconds before you switch on your computer, so your HD is well running once your computer's BIOS is trying to find it. I had to switch mine off yesterday at some point before the computer could find it again - something must have gotten stuck in the line.

- Boot from DVD now. Which DVD is that, by the way? See if DU finds your drive now. Hopefully it does.

If your drive still isn't recognized there is three things that could help you:

a) an update of your motherboard's BIOS (because it is the BIOS that enables USB on that low hardware level)

:P try another external case

c) try another DVD

As always: good luck :D

tomorrow i'll try...

but i don't understand why the installed OSX does not start from the HD...

I have already enabled the USB LEGACY in my BIOS..

Tomorrow i'll also make some screenshots of the BIOS..

On the top left paste P4P800 into the searchfield. As category select BIOS. Click on Search Info.

Now it offers you the 10 different types of P4P800 there are. For updating the BIOS you need to know EXACTLY wich of these 10 MoBos you actually have. If you are unsure open up your computer and look for the name right on the board. But before that click on "How to find Model Name?" and "How to Check Your BIOS Version?" on the left.

These scripts there only wotk fully here with Internet Explorer, not with Firefox.

I have the box here, and the model is the classic P4P800..

But when I go to the support page for my MoBo there's not the link to the live update...

there's only the flash utility and the overclock tool..

looks pretty darn good to be honest, your Maxtor is definitely seen from BIOS.

Which options does it give you under Legacy USB support (which is now on AUTO)?

Anyway, here is the link to the latest BIOS for the basic P4P800: http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock47...00/P4P81019.zip (version 1019). Before: check this site.

looks pretty darn good to be honest, your Maxtor is definitely seen from BIOS.

Which options does it give you under Legacy USB support (which is now on AUTO)?

Anyway, here is the link to the latest BIOS for the basic P4P800: http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock47...00/P4P81019.zip (version 1019). Before: check this site.

Under legacy support the other options are "enabled" and "disabled"

I tried to set to "enabled" but there's no difference.

Is it necessary to update the BIOS? I never updated a BIOS in my life

I think that the problem is inside the OSX installation, because the MoBo has no problems booting OS from an external HD...

I can also try to install Windows on an external HD...but i will be sure that it works...

- put your HD back into your computer

- boot Mac OS

- install Apple's latest USB driver for the Mac OS version you are using: http://developer.apple.com/hardwaredrivers...d/usbdebug.html

- reboot to see that Mac OS still boots up correctly

- power down, put the HS back into the USB case and reboot from USB (either of the two ways, with IDE or USB set to primary boot)

Which update do I need? I have currently installed 10.4.6.

Can I boot the "hacked" OSX on a PPC iBook instead of puttting the HD inside my computer's case?

Which update do I need? I have currently installed 10.4.6.
System Update for iMac with Intel Core Duo and MacBook Pro. Inside of the dmg: the logged one.

Can I boot the "hacked" OSX on a PPC iBook instead of puttting the HD inside my computer's case?
No way .. :(

If that doesn't work your best bet is really to:

- update to 10.4.7 with JaS' updater (I would first update to 10.4.7, then in a second step to 10.4.8)

- install Apple USB System Update for Intel based Macintosh Systems and reboot to see if everything is working

- put the HD back into your case again. Boot and see what happens

Daaannnnnngggg Bugs!! I feel like I just took a course in Hackintosh! Thanks for the "hard-core" help you are providing. I'll need this thread when I get my macheen from 10.4.4 up to current. Lots of great stuff in here. THanks again!!

I installed ALL the updates, and the USB update..

but the system now is slower than before...and Safari has some problems (can't post in this forum, slow scroll, ecc ecc)

I tried to boot from USB..and I get this:

04102006007ew1.jpg