GX620 CPU upgrade

roses

9 posts in this topic

I'm planning on upgrading my Pentium 4 HT 3.0GHz in my Dell Optiplex GX620 Ultra Small Form Factor case.

Any opinions about what kind of CPU (eg Dual Core Pentium D) to look for - and prices/suppliers if you know them - to enable me to install Lion & ML??

Also, anyone have any experience of doing a processor changeover on a Dell, especially the USFF? Hints and tips about what to do & what not to do??

First of all you'd need to know what chipset/CPU socket is used in the PC. CPU-Z (Windows application) or Linux tools could help you with that. Then check what CPUs are supported by the chipset. And finally search eBay for a used CPU that would fit the MB.

Core2 Duo  or Core Duo would be good enough as are supported by the original OS X kernel (for Snow Leopard at least). Other CPUs might also work, but a patched kernel would be needed then.

Please also check if the other hardware you have is supported by the OS you plan to install.

I notice that you don't give any information in your signature about whether you have a GX620 or other similar Dell Optiplex, so it's difficult for me to accept that you have the knowledge and experience of these particular desktops to give me any valid and useful advice. However, ................

First of all you'd need to know what chipset/CPU socket is used in the PC. 

Well of course I already know from CPU-Z it's a 775 socket and the Dell Mobo is called a 0PJ149 with an i945 Northbridge.

I also found the Intel processor/board matching tool but they seem to only deal with Intel MBs. However, by looking at similar boards with the 945 chipset it tells me which Pentium 4 and Celeron D CPUs will work. But it seems no higher processors such as Core 2 are compatible. There also seems to be little or no information about CPU compatibilities with my particular MB.

But I'm thinking that a dual-core D might just do the business and allow me to install Lion and maybe ML. (The Pentium 4 HT works OK for Leopard & SL up to 10.6.6 anyway.)

Please also check if the other hardware you have is supported by the OS you plan to install.

If I knew where to look for this kind of info, I would have already gone there. And as I'm fairly late getting on this Hackintoshing train, I was hoping that other people with GX620s or similar had already trodden this ground and would be able to advise me quickly and accurately as there's a lot of confusing, misleading and downright wrong information out there.

If I knew where to look for this kind of info, I would have already gone there. And as I'm fairly late getting on this Hackintoshing train, I was hoping that other people with GX620s or similar had already trodden this ground and would be able to advise me quickly and accurately as there's a lot of confusing, misleading and downright wrong information out there.

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Unfortunately, if you are not willing to search and try answer your own questions, it might not be easy to find help here.

Unfortunately, if you are not willing to search and try answer your own questions, it might not be easy to find help here.

If you bother to look through some of my other posts, you will see quite clearly that I have on a least 2 occasions solved my own issues, even though 99% of the time I had no clue what i'm doing. That's why it says next to my avatar "Protegé". In other words, I'm a noob and looking to others who have already been through what I'm going through.

For your information, I do spend a LOT of time reading and searching this and other forums, as well as on Google and Ask-dot-com BEFORE I post a question. But sometimes, it's a case of I don't know what I don't know, and I have no clue even where I should be looking for an answer. Then there's sorting out all the wheat from the chaff.................

And anyway, isn't that the whole point of the forum, so that you can ask someone more experienced and knowledgeable than oneself how to do complicated tasks?

Please confirm EXACTLY what experience you have with this particular manufacturer and model of Desktop, because I'm still not convinced that you are the right person I need to talk to about what kind of CPU I need and if it'll work with my MoBo, and also how to physically change the processor.

And anyway, isn't that the whole point of the forum, so that you can ask someone more experienced and knowledgeable than oneself how to do complicated tasks?

Sure, but there is always a limit.

Please confirm EXACTLY what experience you have with this particular manufacturer and model of Desktop, because I'm still not convinced that you are the right person I need to talk to about what kind of CPU I need and if it'll work with my MoBo, and also how to physically change the processor.

Well, I make no claims in that regard (experience with the particular PC). Just trying to provide an info that might be helpful...

Sure, but there is always a limit.

Well, I don't feel I have exceeded that by asking my original question.

And whatever that 'limit' is, it's certainly not for you to decide, irrespective of the fact you have contributed over 1200 posts to this forum (for which I applaud you).

Well, I make no claims in that regard (experience with the particular PC). Just trying to provide an info that might be helpful...

With respect, it is not general info I need in this instance, but specific advice regarding this make and model of desktop and I thought I had made that crystal clear in my first post.

So if it's alright with you, I'll wait until another Optiplex GX owner who has upgraded his/her CPU comes along and shares their experience with me in this thread.

Thanks again anyway for trying to assist.

I did upgrade my CPUs to dual cores and I highly recommend it.  The CPU's are cheap, easy to install and make a huge difference in speed and performance.

For continuation of this topic, see this thread "No internet on Optiplex GX620" (this quote from the last sentence of Post #10 9/12/13 onwards) for further details on this as I seek and find a replacement/upgrade processor and attempt to install it.

• 2 weeks later...

Upgrade has now been completed and it has enabled me to install ML 10.8.2, which is running OK, apart from:

1) no wired internet (because AFAIK there's no 64-bit driver for the onboard Broadcom 5751 NIC). I was looking into the possibility of a workaround with VBox (details on another thread in this forum) using a Netgear USB stick I already had lying around, but that was a non-starter because my CPU does not support virtualisation. Problem should soon be solved with the imminent arrival of another USB WLAN stick (so small it looks like a button actually) which has drivers for Windows and Macs (10.4 to 10.8) and which cost 10 bucks including postage.

2) no QE/CI as there's very little ML support for GMA950 but I'm not too bothered about that. Graphics aren't amazing (I would like a bit more choice of screen resolutions) but I guess I'm pushing the limitations of the hardware of my little GX620 to the limit. Can't ask for more really as I am now able to install some of of my favourite programs that weren't possible before on Leopard and SL.

If anyone would like to see the photos I took of every stage of my CPU upgrade, just shout and I'll upload them here.