Kickstarter project for carbon fiber MacBook sleeves

craj1031tx

4 posts in this topic

Hey InsanelyMac!

So first off, mods, please don’t consider this spam – it’s just a quick post to inform the readers of InsanelyMac about a Kickstarter project that I just put up which I think you all will be pretty interested in. Also, really neat idea with the quiz system. I got an 18/20 on the final one so not perfect but close enough :P. Anyways...

We’re making carbon fiber cases that are custom fit for the entire unibody MacBook line. There’s a great brief to the case in the video on the Kickstarter page and then tons more information in the project’s body. Essentially they’re handmade cases that are custom fit so they are extremely strong, light and thin and they of course look really cool – it’s an application of carbon fiber in a role that’s able to really use its benefits.

Here’s the address: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1629176087/carbon-fiber-laptop-sleeves-by-dfwcomposites-made/

13%20and%2015%20stacked,%20%20high%20ang

Check it out and let me know what you think! I’d love to answer any questions you have in this thread or through the project page. Also, I’m looking for other places where I can give some shout outs about the project – do any of you guys have some favorite non-mainstream sites that you’re willing to share where you think their readers would be interested in hearing about a project like this?

Thanks for your time!

Chetan

I have a suggestion, if I may :)

The sleeve has no latch or any other means to fix an expensive computer inside. That is a computer can unintentionally slide out outside the sleeve if you turn the sleeve so that the opening is facing down (ground, floor, stairs or other hard surfaces). Sure, a user can be careful and nothing would happen, but people are different...

Well, I might be mistaken, but elastic band doesn't look quite convincing to me. The thing is that with all the impact/damage resistance CF has to offer, the elastic band is elastic, so in some scenarios it may become the weakest point.

For instance if the sleeve with MBP inside would somehow manage to impact some hard surface with the opening facing the surface, an elastic band may not prevent the computer from sliding out and therefore be damaged by smashing in to a surface. Damage can be significant if it was a free fall long enough (esp. if a notebook wasn't shut down).

CF is light enough, while MBA/MBP are not so light. In this combination compute has much higher moment of inertia, therefore IMO a computer could be prone sliding out when it's not desired.