OSX ML 10.8.3/4 in VMware 8/9 with a Linux host = no audio, anyone able to help?

11 posts in this topic

Well I got bored recently and figured I'd check back into how the world of OSx86 has been progressing over the years and decided to give Mountain Lion a shot inside VMware 8/9 (I have both installed for development purposes). I'm using Ubuntu 12.04.2 x64 as the host OS and my issue is that regardless of of which version of VMware I happen to use I'm finding that I get no audio whatsoever.

Now, the thing is that the audio hardware is detected and shows up just fine under System Information (analog/digital/etc) so there's something there being detected as audio hardware, but for whatever reason there's just no actual output going to the host audio adapter. I've tried several methods and several variations of the Ensoniq driver but I've still had no luck whatsoever of actual audible audio output.

Figured I'd ask and see if anyone else has had a similar experience (OSX in VMware as a guest OS on a Linux host OS and no audio inside the virtual machine even though the "hardware" is detected and appears to be functional).

I'll check back a few times over the next few days just in case anyone has any suggestions or potential solutions.

Thanks for any assistance.

• 2 months later...

Same issue here.

Host:

Ubuntu Linux 12.04 64-bit

Dell Precision T7500

Using Donk's latest unlocker with VMware Workstation 10 build-1295980.

I don't get audio using either 10.8 or 10.9 even though the hardware seems to be recognized.  Having VMware tools installed doesn't make a difference either. I can get audio from other Windows and Linux guests, but nothing on any OS X guests.

I'm in the same boat.  Running Vmware 10 on Ubuntu 13.10 x64,

If I delete the sound card and reboot, then OSX says I have no sound hardware. If I add the sound card back, then OSX reports detecting the hardware.  So its finding it and allowing me to adjust master volume.  Like the others, Win 7 guests have working audio.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm on Vmware 10 and Ubuntu 13.10

Using the http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmsvga2/files/Audio/

EnsoniqueAudioPCI drivers and changing the .vmx from:

sound.virtualDev = "hdaudio"

to

sound.virtualDev = "es1371"

I had sound for a little bit on ML 10.8.3, but i hadn't enough time to dig it.

Take a look at this --> http://imil.au.edu.tw/blog1/index.php?itemid=362

Take care.

to

Take care.

This worked for me, thank you very much!  

I changed the sound.virtualDev entry as described, installed the mentioned audio drivers and rebooted.  I then went into System Preferences and enabled the new sound output device and everything was good to go.

Thanks again!

This worked for me, thank you very much!  

I changed the sound.virtualDev entry as described, installed the mentioned audio drivers and rebooted.  I then went into System Preferences and enabled the new sound output device and everything was good to go.

Thanks again!

Glad I could help =)

to

Take care.

This got my sound kind-of working -- thank you.  In my case however, the sound plays for 2 seconds then stops for a second, then resumes.  Its not scratchy or stuttered, it just hangs for a sec.

I've got the correct driver installed, and followed the instructions in the link.  Tried a bunch of other things....but its just not working correctly.  Any ideas?

This got my sound kind-of working -- thank you.  In my case however, the sound plays for 2 seconds then stops for a second, then resumes.  Its not scratchy or stuttered, it just hangs for a sec.

I've got the correct driver installed, and followed the instructions in the link.  Tried a bunch of other things....but its just not working correctly.  Any ideas?

No, no ideas; i'm having the same issue. On the windows partition sound works ok, but i'm not going to spend time there. Are you running an AMD CPU?. What version of OSX are you running on your VM?

No, no ideas; i'm having the same issue. On the windows partition sound works ok, but i'm not going to spend time there. Are you running an AMD CPU?. What version of OSX are you running on your VM?

I'm running Intel i7 quad-core.  OSX version is mavericks....   Sound works well for me from all other VMs...(windows xp, win 7, ubuntu, etc.).   My vmware is VMWare Workstation 10.0.0.  I also know it isn't the VM itself.  I have 2 cores allocated to it and, for example, can play streaming YouTube video's perfectly well from with Safari or Chrome.

I'm running Intel i7 quad-core.  OSX version is mavericks....   Sound works well for me from all other VMs...(windows xp, win 7, ubuntu, etc.).   My vmware is VMWare Workstation 10.0.0.  I also know it isn't the VM itself.  I have 2 cores allocated to it and, for example, can play streaming YouTube video's perfectly well from with Safari or Chrome.

Well, I thought it could be the cpu, but yours is ok. If you find some kind of solution, please, do share.

• 3 months later...

The solution is rather simple, you can read from here:

http://mib.pianetalinux.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4168

I use this solution for a long time and works well...,

to have a smooth audio, without any interruption, you must use the audio device at his roots:

using not ALSA nor PULSE but directly the DSP device (aoss driver) > /dev/dsp or /dev/audio

(This is my first msg in this forum, my account had to pass the exam...)