Generating Drivers

2 posts in this topic

If I understand correctly, it seems that the primary issue in making OS X work on a standard PC is the lack of available drivers.

Just a hypothetical - could a program/algorithm be created that analyzes the Windows driver AND the Linux driver, and uses the information in them to generate the OS X driver?

It would have to be built on an intelligence database with multiple 3 driver sets (Windows, OS X, and Linux). Probably a few sets per generic hardware device (video card, sound card, etc). Using those sets as a basis, it could construct the OS X driver using the logic "If Driver A=Windows and Driver B=Linux, then OS X has to = (newly generated) Driver C".

If I understand correctly, it seems that the primary issue in making OS X work on a standard PC is the lack of available drivers.

The main reason is different combinations hardware used in Macs and average Joe PC (a limited set of hardware OS X designed to work with vs wide variety of components used in PCs).

Just a hypothetical - could a program/algorithm be created that analyzes the Windows driver AND the Linux driver, and uses the information in them to generate the OS X driver?

IMO no. All three OSs (OS X, Linux, Windows) have different internal working, so handle hardware differently. In addition most Windows drivers are closed source/proprietary software. Some OS X drivers are also closed source/proprietary, same with Linux. There could be legal issues with unauthorised usage of closed source/proprietary products.

A programmer though could port Linux/FreeBSD drivers to OS X. I doubt it could be somehow automated, since drivers have different level of complexity (VGA driver vs say PS/2 driver) and it could be tricky thing to do even for skilled person.

• Like 1