no hard disk to install on...

boogie03

15 posts in this topic

Hello, I'm a newbie to all this and I'm trying to get a copy of osx86 running on my laptop:

IBM t60p

2ghz dual core intel duo

ATI Fire GL v5200

What I have done so far:

I already had windows runnig on my laptop so...

-I used gparted to shrink my windows partition and create two new partitions one of which was ext3 and the other fat32.

-I then got a copy of the Maxxus_Patch_Solution _v 1.0 Mac OS X Install disc.

-I then installed Fedora 5 which installed GRUB bootloader as well on my ext3 partition.

-I burned the OSX install disc onto a DVD using a DVD Studio Pro on a Macintosh G5.

-I booted my IBM up with the OSX Disc in the drive.

It booted ust great and was fine untill I got to the choose a hard disc to install on.

It didn't recoginize any of my partitions as a place to install.

I went into disk utility and tried to format the Fat32 partition where I planned to put mac OSX but Disc Utility wouldn't allow it I futzed around with disc utility for a while longer. Restarted my computer and tried it again and again yielding the same results each time I then thought that the DVD wasn't patched correctly.

So now I'm looking at my ISO and wondering if there is something I'm supposed to do with the Maxxuss_Patch_Solution_v 1.0 folder that is on the Disc Image, perhps someone out there knows what is wrong and that it is a very simple problem that I have ignorantly missed. I would much appreciate any input/insight on this matter.

Thanks ahead of time.

hans

First of all it would be better to get one of the more actual JaS Install CDs i.e. 10.4.6

Look in the Install Program there is a disk utility in the apple bar on top, try this one to prepair your disk. Have you already made an af partition with windows?

yeah I've already tried to erase the disk and restore it and basically any other operation that the install disk allows and it wouldn't allow me to touch and partitions.

Also what is this JaS CD? I don't think I could bear another 5 day download of the DVD but I'd do it to get this working...

and why do you mention the af partition? I haven't heard of it, how does it affect my install and how do I make one.

thankyou so much for the replies I really appreciate the feedback. Makes me feel like I'm not alone in this.

much gratitude,

hans

I have the same problem. I used mac os x 10.4.6 beforeon a HP DESKTOP. Now I have 10.4.7 JAS on dvd. When I try to install everything seems to be OK. But NO HARDDISK! ;)

I have a packard Bell AMD ATHLON64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ , 2 gb ram, 500 gb garddisk( 2x250 sata).

I created a primary partition id=af with diskpart. But the install dvd can't se the harddisks.

help please...

thanks...

Once again thanks for all the responses I can't truly express my gratitude for the troubleshooting assistance.

If it was a probelme with my hard drive being sata would my partitionseven show up in the disc utility menu? because if that was the case then I thought I wouldn't be able to see them at all.

I am still interest in the af partition thing do I need to make it with windows or can I do it with GPARTED? Should I be using GPARTED? Or should I be using something else to make my partitions.

thanks again for all your help,

hans

I had the same problem on my laptop with SATA HDD. The problem was the presence of an extendex partion on the disk. Obviously MAC OS X needs a primary partition to be installed on. But Disk utility can't erase and mount if somewhere in your disk is present an extended partition.

In my experience, so, you need to have ONLY primary partions on your HDD.

Try booting in linux, login as root, and from shell use the utility "parted".

Remove the extended partition with 'rm' command, then use the 'recover' command. The utility should recover the partion as primary one.

Read help (type 'help') of "parted" utility first !!!

Hope it helps

OSX has support for only a few SATA controllers. Get a PATA hard drive.

with my old computer (hp intel pentium 4 3000ghz 80 gb sata) it worked great. And today I insert my old computers harddisk on my new packard bell amd athlon 64x2 dual core processor 4200 2x250 sata, 2 gb ram, but it wouldnt work. So I think the problem is not sata.

I love mac!!! I have to install it!!!

I have a laptop(zepto znote 2215w.centrino 1,7 ghz 1 gb ram 80 gb sata) but I couldnt either install on it. first it says "com.apple.plist" not found and when I press f8 "ethernet PXE client" .... and nothing

I hope you can help...

sorry my english....

When you erase the disk, be sure that you choose MacOS Extended Journaled (I think that's it) as the format type. I had a friend who erased a disk and thought he was selecting the format type in order to "confirm" it's deletion. The partition type you're selecting is actually what it will re-format as.

with my old computer (hp intel pentium 4 3000ghz 80 gb sata) it worked great. And today I insert my old computers harddisk on my new packard bell amd athlon 64x2 dual core processor 4200 2x250 sata, 2 gb ram, but it wouldnt work. So I think the problem is not sata.

I love mac!!! I have to install it!!!

I have a laptop(zepto znote 2215w.centrino 1,7 ghz 1 gb ram 80 gb sata) but I couldnt either install on it. first it says "com.apple.plist" not found and when I press f8 "ethernet PXE client" .... and nothing

I hope you can help...

You inserted the SATA hard drive from a working computer into a non-working computer and it still did not work.

The issue isn't with the SATA DRIVE. It is with the SATA controller chip in the computer. OSX is compatible with the controller chip in your old computer. It is NOT compatible with the controller chip in your new computer. That is why it wouldn't work initially and still wouldn't work when you inserted the other hard drive. The same non-compatible controller chip.

For your laptop, install in Windows using VMWare. Once you get it installed you won't need VMWare to boot OSX. http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=11314

now I installed mac on my laptop but the version is 10.4.1 :):poster_oops: It was a mistake. I have 2 dvd's and I insert the 10.4.1... but its working. I installed using vmware. but I cant instal 10.4.7. when I try "EBIOS read error. timeout"....

any ideas...

thanks