Jump to content

i7-930 Usage Spike When Resizing Windows

6 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello Insanely Mac Forums,


I've been running Mountain Lion 10.8.4 for roughly a week now with little issues. I was rather shocked how lucky I was (or so I thought) when I found how effortlessly my system supported OSX, until I began to realize after working in Photoshop that certain luminosities of colors displayed horizontal artifacts. While they weren't terribly distracting, they were rather off-putting and ultimately stifled the design process while working in Photoshop. Upon further observation, I had recognized that of the two monitors I own, this one incidentally connected via DisplayPort was exclusively susceptible to thisI had managed to confirm my suspicion after reluctantly connecting said monitor via DVI with which the artifacts. Upon prematurely celebrating my success, I immediately noticed frame drops with resizing windows once I had attempted to scale XCode, which had responded (if you can call it that) with roughly two frames from its previous size to maximizing. I investigated the issue further by testing this with multiple applications, while XCode is the worst offender, this anomaly is found with every application regardless of intensiveness. When I had referenced my system's Activity Monitor I was shocked to see that resizing any application skyrocketed my CPU usage to either near or at 100%. Strangely enough however, many animations are still as fluid as they were before I had switched to DVI, such as opening folders on the dock, dragging windows, and minimizing windows; however, some such as selecting albums in iTunes were suffering from the same performance issues. I did as much searching as I could before defaulting to posting a thread, if anyone could offer some insight it would be greatly appreciated.


TL;DR -  My CPU spikes whenever I resize or maximize windows.


Some insight on my hardware...

  • Asus Rampage III Extreme
  • Intel Core i7-930 (Stock Clock)
  • EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked+ Edition
  • 4GB Corsair Dominator ram
  • 150 GB Western Digital HDD (Plugged in Sata II)

Boot flags...

  • PCIRootUID=0
  • npci=0x3000
  • GraphicsEnabler=No
  • darkwake=0
  • nvda_drv=1 (I'm currently using the net drivers from nvidia's website for 10.8.4)
  • UseKernelCache=Yes

As a final note, I'm using chameleon as my bootloader, attached below is a screenshot of my Activity Monitor among other things.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like driver issue to me.

How is that? Incidentally I had just re-installed OSX without the web drivers in hopes that any changes I would have made that could contribute to the issue would be purged -- incidentally it persisted. Strange, I was under the pretense that OSX had native support for the 680 following 10.8.2.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your issue with your displays when connected over DisplayPort may be fixed by this: http://embdev.net/topic/284710#3027030


EDIT: I realise that that's not your most pressing issue, but all I have to offer otherwise is guesses.

Not in the slightest it's nice to have at least someone reply. I may have been disillusioned when I first set up OSX, as a re-install with DisplayPort connected yielded the same results. I'm planning on switching back to OSX and toying with the system definitions in hopes that would address the issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Create New...