Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bautastein

Making Windows partition bootable

1 post in this topic

Hi

The problem is the following: I have a mid 2012 27" iMac with no SuperDrive, and would like to install Windows using dual boot. I have an ISO image of Win7. I see there's an option in Boot Camp Assistant to install it via a USB Flash Drive, but I don't have one. Since I am sick I would have to order it online, and it would take maybe a week, and I'm a little impatient. I see there is an often recommended trick of installing Windows via VMWare to the physical disk, then switch the virtual machine off before it restarts, then restart the mac and boot into the new windows Volume. I don't have VMWare Fusion, but I tried it with VirtualBox instead. I then tried to set the startup volume to the new Windows partition, in System Preferences, and restarted, and got the following message:

No Bootable Device --- press any key to continue...

The message is taken from memory. So, I reckon there might be three ways from here:

1) Install rEFIt. I see almost all tutorials include this. I'm very squeamish about installing software that has low-level access and makes low-level changes to the system that might have consequences like the machine not booting at all. I'm not sure how much it changes the firmware etc., the stuff that I'm squeamish about. I also couldn't quite determine from the rEFIt/rEFInd websites whether it would solve my problem, and whether it would be necessary.

2) Try installing windows again via VirtualBox, but this time give VirtualBox access to the entire disk. Gulp! I'm squeamish about that too. Until now, I have only given it access to the partition where I want Windows installed, I suspect the Windows installer actually needs to put some boot code into the MBR records too. I suspect I would have to give it access to the entire physical disk for it to work. But, as I understand it, there is a trick that Mac OS X employs to make two partition map types work together. Perhaps there might be incompatibilities that won't be handled by installing Windows via VirtualBox, so that the entire disk could be ruined (or at least the partition tables). Therefore, I thought I'd ask here first. Here is the command I used to create the raw vmdk file for VirtualBox:

sudo vboxmanage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename ./raw_hd.vmdk -rawdisk /dev/disk0 -partitions 4

By removing the last bit "-partitions 4", I'd give it access to the entire disk.

3) Get VMWare Fusion, and install Windows via it instead, like the tutorials say? Perhaps VirtualBox just ain't up to the task?

Or..... maybe I should just accept that squeamishness and hackishness don't go together, and order a USB flash drive online....

Partition Inspector from the rEFIt package (which I didn't install), says:

*** Report for internal hard disk ***

Current GPT partition table:
 #      Start LBA      End LBA  Type
 1             40       409639  EFI System (FAT)
 2         409640   1815536839  Mac OS X HFS+
 3     1815536840   1816806375  Mac OS X Boot
 4     1816807424   1953523711  Basic Data

Current MBR partition table:
 # A    Start LBA      End LBA  Type
 1              1       409639  ee  EFI Protective
 2         409640   1815536839  af  Mac OS X HFS+
 3     1815536840   1816806375  ab  Mac OS X Boot
 4     1816807424   1953523711  87  NTFS volume set

MBR contents:
 Boot Code: None

Partition at LBA 40:
 Boot Code: None (Non-system disk message)
 File System: FAT32
 Listed in GPT as partition 1, type EFI System (FAT)

Partition at LBA 409640:
 File System: HFS Extended (HFS+)
 Listed in GPT as partition 2, type Mac OS X HFS+
 Listed in MBR as partition 2, type af  Mac OS X HFS+

Partition at LBA 1815536840:
 File System: HFS Extended (HFS+)
 Listed in GPT as partition 3, type Mac OS X Boot
 Listed in MBR as partition 3, type ab  Mac OS X Boot

Partition at LBA 1816807424:
 Boot Code: Windows BOOTMGR (Vista)
 File System: NTFS
 Listed in GPT as partition 4, type Basic Data
 Listed in MBR as partition 4, type 87  NTFS volume set

Advertisement

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By ivanagui2
      VMQemuVGA display adapter driver for OSx86 running as a VirtualBox guest. The binary should work on all OSs from Snow Leopard up to Yosemite 10.10. It allows to set different screen resolutions in VirtualBox from System Preferences.   The changes I've made to the fork have been minimal.
      GitHub project page Binary and source releases Special thanks:
      PureDarwin
      probonopd
      rafirafi
      Zenith432
      VMware, Inc

• By crazybirdy
      Patched OSInstaller.framework to allow macOS 10.13 installation on MBR partition.

To use those patched files you must follow HowTo-10.13.x to create an USB installer. You can't just run the app downloaded from Mac App Store.

The patch is made base on 落下爱@pcbeta 10.10.x MBR patch method, and more patch for 10.13 Firmware check by crazybirdy.

What is this patched OSInstaller doing?
      1. Patch the MBR check, allow macOS 10.13 installation on MBR partition.
      2. Patch the Firmware check, bypass the error of "An error occurred while verifying firmware".
      3. This patched MBR OSInstaller method works with both MBR and GPT partition (GPT+recovery).
      No longer need to set new SMbiosversion, FirmwareFeatures, and FirmwareFeaturesMask with this MBR-patch.

If you want to install to GPT, but still get the error of "An error occurred while verifying firmware".
      All you need to do is, boot the Disk1mbrInstaller, and it will automatically load to install the "GPT-partition/macOS Install Data" which you installed with "Install macOS High Sierra.app" of createinstallmedia installer method at first stage.

How to make 10.13 installer for MBR?
      Read HowTo-10.13.x.txt inside the zip file first, different with 10.12.
      Read HowTo Q/A Q7. How to install in different computer with only one USB partition?
      Read HowTo Q/A Q8. How to update 10.13.x combo-update to MBR without downloading the full installer app again?
      Read HowTo Q/A Q9. How to update 10.13.x combo-update to MBR and GPT with installScript directly?

And, need a /Extra/SMBIOS.plist supported with /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist.
      Set a SMBIOS with Chameleon Wizard.

Work fine with Clover r4084+.

Work fine with Enoch r2885+.
      and /Extra/kernel.plist with
      <key>KernelBooter_kexts</key>
      <string>Yes</string>

10.13.4.17E199
      10.13.3.17D47
      10.13.2.17C88
      10.13.1.17B48
      10.13.0.17A405
        If you want to patch MBR by yourself, just read the HowToPatch-10.13.txt inside the zip file.
    • By zeg66
      Please help me with this 10.9.5 system. Motherboard: Gigabyte 965p-s3 rev3.3, gpu: Ati Radeon HD6450 (dvi/hdmi/vga). 
      Using any of the 3 ports on the 6450 (dvi, hdmi, vga), I see all the white letters on black background during boot but when they complete and it's time for the graphics to start I get a black screen and sometimes a restart after that. Using Clover 4411. Is there any way to get past this?
    • By crazybirdy
      Patched OSInstaller.framework to allow macOS 10.12 installation on MBR partition.

To use those patched files you must follow HowTo-10.12.x to create an USB installer. You can't just run the app downloaded from Mac App Store.

The patch is made base on 落下爱@pcbeta 10.10.x patch method

How to make 10.12 installer for MBR?

Open Install macOS Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg/BaseSystem.dmg first.
      1. Restore BaseSystem.dmg to HFS partition and rename the partition’s name as macOSMBR as /Volumes/macOSMBR/
      2. Copy InstallESD.dmg/BaseSystem.dmg to /Volumes/macOSMBR/
      3. Copy InstallESD.dmg/BaseSystem.chunklist to /Volumes/macOSMBR/
      4. Copy InstallESD.dmg/AppleDiagnostics.dmg to /Volumes/macOSMBR/
      5. Copy InstallESD.dmg/AppleDiagnostics.chunklist to /Volumes/macOSMBR/
      6. Remove /Volumes/macOSMBR/System/Installation/Packages
      7. Copy InstallESD.dmg/Packages to /Volumes/macOSMBR/System/Installation/Packages

8.OSInstaller replace to
      /Volumes/macOSMBR/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/OSInstaller.framework/Versions/A/OSInstaller

9. Copy InstallESD.dmg/Packages/Essentials.pkg/System/Library/Kernels/kernel
      to /Volumes/macOSMBR/System/Library/Kernels/kernel
      (use Pacifist v3.2.14 to access the contents of Essentials.pkg, and make directory /System/Library/Kernels first.)
      (Need kernel only if you use Chameleon with -f to boot the installer disk, needn't with Clover.)

10. Boot to /Volumes/macOSMBR/ to install macOS.

And, need a /Extra/SMBIOS.plist supported with /Volumes/macOSMBR/System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist.
      Set a SMBIOS with Chameleon Wizard.

Work fine with Enoch r2839+
      <string>Yes</string>
      https://postimg.org/image/bnmdi8cdl/

10.12.6.16G29
      10.12.5.16F73
      10.12.4.16E195
      10.12.3.16D32
      10.12.2.16C68
      10.12.1.16B2657
      10.12.0.16A323

If you want to patch MBR by yourself, here is the patch code, works on 10.12.0~10.12.6

perl -pi -e "s|\x48\x8B\x78\x28\x48\x85\xFF\x0F\x84\x91\x00\x00\x00\x48|\x48\x8B\x78\x28\x48\x85\xFF\x90\xE9\x91\x00\x00\x00\x48|g" OSInstaller
      codesign -f -s - OSInstaller

• By crazybirdy
      Patched OSInstall.mpkg and OSInstaller.framework to allow OS X 10.11 installation on MBR partition.

To use those patched files you must follow HowTo-10.11.x to create an USB installer. You can't just run the app downloaded from Mac App Store.

The patch is made base on 落下爱@pcbeta 10.10.x patch method

How to make 10.11 installer for MBR?

Open /Applications/Install OS X El Capitan.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg/BaseSystem.dmg first.
      1. Restore BaseSystem.dmg to HFS partition and rename the partition’s name as OSXMBR as /Volumes/OSXMBR/
      2. Copy InstallESD.dmg/BaseSystem.dmg to /Volumes/OSXMBR/
      3. Copy InstallESD.dmg/BaseSystem.chunklist to /Volumes/OSXMBR/
      4. Copy InstallESD.dmg/AppleDiagnostics.dmg to /Volumes/OSXMBR/
      5. Copy InstallESD.dmg/AppleDiagnostics.chunklist to /Volumes/OSXMBR/
      6. Remove /Volumes/OSXMBR/System/Installation/Packages
      7. Copy InstallESD.dmg/Packages to /Volumes/OSXMBR/System/Installation/Packages

OSInstall.mpkg replace to
      /Volumes/OSXMBR/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

OSInstaller replace to
      /Volumes/OSXMBR/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/OSInstaller.framework/Versions/A/OSInstaller

9. Copy InstallESD.dmg/Packages/Essentials.pkg/System/Library/Kernels/kernel
      to /Volumes/OSXMBR/System/Library/Kernels/kernel
      (use Pacifist v3.2.14 to access the contents of Essentials.pkg, and make directory /System/Library/Kernels first.)
      (Need kernel only if you use Chameleon with -f to boot the installer disk, needn't with Clover.)

10. Boot to /Volumes/OSXMBR/ to install Mac OS X.

Work fine with Clover

Work fine with Enoch
      <string>Yes</string>

10.11.6.15G1011
      10.11.6.15G31
      10.11.5.15F34
      10.11.4.15E65
      10.11.3.15D21
      10.11.2.15C50
      10.11.1.15B42
      10.11.0.15A284

If you want to patch MBR by yourself, here is the patch code, works on 10.11.0 ~ 10.11.6

perl -pi -e 's|\x48\x8B\x78\x28\x48\x85\xFF\x74\x5F\x48\x8B\x85|\x48\x8B\x78\x28\x48\x85\xFF\xEB\x5F\x48\x8B\x85|g' OSInstaller
      codesign -f -s - OSInstaller