Xserver g5 No GPU Install

wered

6 posts in this topic

Ok i went to buy a nice switch i found on craigslist earlier today, and when i did, i also happened to get an old xserve g5 server while i was there, its missing all three of the hdd trays and it doesn't have a gpu, since they didn't come with a gpu, i assume there is a way to install the system on here without a monitor, iv seen a few people showing how to do it with another mac, but unfortunately i no longer have any other macs, i have a HP proliant dl360 g5 running windows server 2012, and a couple custom built desktops with windows/mint on them and an old sun blade 130 workstation with solaris 8 on it,  so basicly i would like some direction on how to go about installing osx 10.5 server on here without the monitor, mine does have a cd drive on it and it is running the 2ghz powerpc processor. oh and i am using an external hard drive until i know it works so i dont spend 150 on hdds for a dud server.

Well, you could theoretically install OS X (from within virtual environment) to a HDD, then atache the above HDD to the X server and start using it. However there is an issue here, since G5 is PowerPC (RISC) architecture and virtual machine would run on x86 architecture, the above might not work.

There is a target mode on Macs. This mode lets you connect two Macs together via FireWire cable and use one as target disk (to install OS X to) and the other as a source/management system. This will not work if there is no FireWire present in the servers you have.

More info:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ta26930

http://marc.vos.net/howto/xserve/

there is firewire on both the server and my linux desktop, how would i get the server to boot from the virtual machine though. sorry if its a stupid question, never did too much with max other than basic configurations.

...sorry if its a stupid question...

Not at all. AFAIK when connecting a (USB at least) device to a computer running virtual PC (powered on and running), the virtual PC software should ask you which OS you'd want to connect the device to - the host or the guest (virtual OS). Again this does work with USB devices, I have never used FireWire (don't own any) with virtual machines. It may/may not work. There is no better to know when test it out :)