InsanelyMac Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sen

Dell Dimension E520 Restart after bootloader

Hey chaps, I have a dimension E520 desktop in which my colleague gave me. And it originally comes with a pentium d processor. Which i made several changes to it by upgrading the processor to a core 2 duo quad, put a nvidia 8500gt graphic card and update the bios. So i install iATKOS L2 to it and been using for half a year. So currently the hard drive is full and i upgrade it and i intend to install install mountain lion to it. But when i put the disc, at the bootloader, i select F8 and use the bootflag -v but it restart. So im not sure what causes it to restart. I have tried niresh ml distro and has the same problem as well. Thanks. I will appreciate you guys help :)

Advertisement

You mean by using the arch=i386 kernal flag? I thought mountain lion doesnt support/boot into 32 bit?

But nevertheless i have tried according to what you have said, and it says cant fit arch=i386.. So you reckon what should i do? Thanks

But i presume if its has issue with x64, then why can lion be run? Anyway i would prefer using distro instead of retail method as i done before retail using other computer and had lots of issue. Thanks. I hope someone more knowledgeable than me could chimp in and help. If all else fail, then i reckon i would build a hackintosh by buying those necessary/compatible parts like motherboard and etc. :)

Never mind, i think i will try the retail method. But you guys reckon retail method will work based on my description?

Ok chaps, i just try the myhack method which is using retail method and usb flashdrive. And it the same thing, it restart. So im not sure what causes it. I mean i have core 2 duo quad processor.

I tried. But in a normal hackintosh, if boot into verbose mode it will show lots of stuff but I try to use this to boot into verbose mode, after bootloader it shows a black screen and restart. I've tried different kernel flag such as -x, ncpi=0x2000 and graphicsenabler=no to no avail.

it should work. what u need is dsdt modded likely... to remove onboard vga from it.

i havent tried lion or mountain on these older dells.. so im not sure.