Acer Aspire One A150 OSX 10.5.5.

Lanceomni

4 posts in this topic

acer-aspire-one-00.jpgAcer Aspire One A150

I have been curious for some time now as to how OSX performs on Intel's Atom processor. So far Ive been extremely impressed with using this netbook. I have installed 10.5.5 and have managed to get audio, video, Ethernet, internal mic, sleep when closing lid & the battery meter working. I am really interested in using one of these to tether to my camera on shoots. Something that I can check an occasional image for composition and sharpness while shooting. The only snag so far is screen resolution. 1024X600 doesn't quite cut it as there are a great deal of programs out there that require at lest 1024x768. I know that Gigabyte has a need little tablet netbook m912v with 1280x768. Thats the V model only. The other versions have similar resolution as most other netbooks.

Pushing the little guy.

I used Photo booth to take a series of video clips from the built in webcam, about 10min total, and tossed them into FCP 5.1. It kept up and crunched the video pretty quick. I figured it was time to see how it handled some recordings made in SD on a DV camcorder. I tossed about 2 gigs of clips and strung them together with transitions and even a few rotated videos. It handled the editing no problem. I then proceeded to render. Crunching video of this size put a burden on the little guy but it completed its task... eventually.... Ill have to time it next time. I was able to open up safari and surf the net along with a few other programs without causing it to slow down too much.

Here are the specs:

Intel Atom 1.6 Ghz

1gb Memory

160gig hard drive

Here are some useful links to get this little guy all buttoned up:

http://www.venera7.com/22-11-2008/installi...e-macbook-nano/

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=129774

I used iPC 10.5.5 and restored it to an external usb harddrive. My Aspire One is brand new with BIOS versions 3305 so no need to flash. Id recommend just installing the basics and then fix the problems one by one. This will give you a better idea of whats going on and why things need patched. Ive also installed the Voodoo 9.5.0 Release 1.0. I have had a few kernel panics today so not all of the bugs have been worked out but all in all Im pretty happy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Good summary. Unfortunately, I couldn't get past the files/settings transfer portion of the welcome because it kept looking for network. Using iDeneb 10.5.5, there was no compatible ethernet driver and I didn't replace the wifi card yet. I just want to get past that point so I can use USB.