Initial Install

ChoperBoy

1 post in this topic

Welcome to my Blog I am not going to make this a step by stem since that has been covered multiple times on the Wiki and in various posts. I will however over view things that have worked for me.

My Basic build:

Dell XPS 420

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz overclocked to 3Ghz

Intel X38 ICH9R chipset (system bus at 1333Mhz)

3GB DDR2 667Mhz Ram

2 Seagate 320 GB SATA 3.0gb/sec Harddrives

TSST DVD+RW

Audio Advantage 5.1 USB sound

XFX GeForce 8800 GTS 640Mb

DFE Lan card(From PIII Gateway)

Disabled onboard LAN and Sound

Bios Settings:

Disabled Intel Speed Step

Disabled onboard Lan and Sound

All Other setting stock

HD 0: Boot MBR

Windows Vista 64 Bit

HD 1:

OS X 10.5.5 - BootEFI v8

MY install:

Initially I had Vista 32 bit installed on a single drive and decided to upgrade to Vista 64 bit to break the 4GB memory barier.

Installed the second drive after the Video card upgrade BTW the GeForce 8800 GTS works great int the XPS even with a 375w PS.

I had previously owned a Dual G4 1.25 GHZ Mirror Drive which I loved and had to sell due to Babies and such. So I ended up selling my car and had enough money left over after paying for doctors to buy a Dell XPS 420 and a 22" dell monitor at Best buy.

In the origional configuration the Dell came with an ATI hd2400 pro but since I am a bit of a Gaming fanatic(Yes I know serious overclockers and gamers dont buy dells, however its easy to overclock a system that has bios made for overclocking) so I decided to upgrade the card to a Geforce card after about 2 months of looking I stubled across this XFX GeForce 8800 GTS 640Mb card at fry's in a slightly crumpled box for $125 and I quickly snatched it and went home to install it.

I had been reading he wiki here for a while thinking how fun it may be to have a dual boot Macintel and how much I liked the stability of my Old G4 Dual system. After about 3 days of downloading I finally had the Kalyway 10.5.2 ISO (yes my internet is slow but at least I am not a slave to Time Warner). I burned the ISO to DVD. This is where the trouble began, But nothing in life is worth it without a bit of hard work and creative thinking(and a bit of help from research).

Initially I had decided to have a tripple boot sytem with Ubuntu just for the bootloader but decided that I would spend way too much time switching between the 3 to actually enjoy any of them si I decided just to have the dual boot system.

I Installed Kalyway on my second drive using Vanilla kernel, NVInject, Timemachine fix, no Lan Drivers or Sound Drivers and assorted optional programs ont he disk. Rebooted and low and behold I could not get into OS X I had forgottent to get a boot loader so back to windows I go and installed EasyBCD and set my boot loader to recognize the HFS+ boot drive. Rebooted and went straight to the OSX Desktop with NO Sound.

I hooked up and external drive and backed up my drive Via Time Machine. Downloaded and Applied Kalyway 10.5.3 Update rebooted with the -v and was once again visited by the desktop of OS X. Repaired Permissions backeup time machine and download the Update to 10.5.4 from Apple.

This really is where I thought I would have the most trouble but really it was not so bad. I opened the terminal sudo -s, Password and typed 'while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done' hit enter and started the update. Update finfished and I went back to Terminal 'ctrl+c' checked for the ominious Don't steal mac.kext (which i didnt find), repaired permissions and rebooted into 10.5.4. Basically I followed the same procedure for 10.5.5 update and booted into 10.5.5.

Now I backed up to time machine for the current setup because I was going to attempt to get the sound and video working all correctly and apply a few tweaks. First off I downloaded OSX86Tools and set my system info to read the righ CPU, mem , ect.., then I downlaoded efi studio and installed the Video card so that it was using the efi driver instead of a injector which autimatically allowed for qe/ci under 10.5.5 which the injectors were not doing(software only blech)

Installed the turtle beach USB sound card and had sound.

No the only issued I have to date is the lack of support for x38 chipsets and my system profiler does not show the memory installed for some reason 'error while blah blah something or other.

I am sure as update arrive and more investigation si performed I will find a way to enable the memory controller to be queried but I am sure it has to do with support in OsX for x38 chipsets and ICH9r compatibility issues and a few of the Dell probles as well.

More to come

Rant Concluded!