Install the 10.5.3 Update - It's like piece 'o cake

Ueberschall

1 post in this topic

Today the 10.5.3 update arrived at the horizon. A hope for everyone with a hackintosh who has certain problems.

So what are we intend to do here? Install this baby right away. But wait! If you don't want to ruine your system or like to play the restore game very often, here are a few tips I collected today, while I was installing it.

Note: My method is a bit complicated, because I wanted to make sure that my system works after the update. You can install a different kernel afterwards.

First: Download the package from Apple Support. This is recommended because we need to modify some files after installation of this update. And if you update using the software updater... well, you are in a bit of trouble.

Second: You need to apply two simple command lines in terminal to make this work as we like.

The first one is:

while sleep 1; do rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext;done

What this does: It prevents your system from a kernel panic while the installer is running. So start this line BEFORE you start the installer.

Third: When the installation is finished, don't press reboot. We need to tweak some things.

In the terminal type:

sudo nano /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1

Now search for the line where it says: Dont steal Mac OS.kext. Rename that to dsmos.kext. Press ctrl+o and enter to save, then ctrl+x to quit nano. After that I RECOMMEND to install one of kalyways kernel packages (i did this with 9.2) or a non vanilla kernel (for shutdown fix ect). Kalyways Kernelpackage also replaces the dsmos.kext. You can also reinstall a fixed SMBios File (f.e. the one by macdotnub) to fix the About this Mac Dialog.

After you installed all your stuff, press the holy button: reboot.

The mashine reboots, loads a while at the apple screen and then reboots itself again. This is normal.

Now you should have your update installed and running.

Note: I had a strange graphiccard problem where NVInject was installed but CI an QE didn't work. So I tested different installers and looked through the forums and I tried something: just delete nvinject.kext and reboot. Everthing's fine then.

Credits for this method goes to fassl. I figured out the kernel thing myself.